Trying to install/connect the serial Cube Pilot Drone ID to a Kakute F7

So one issue is that I need to create custom firmwares for the Kakute F7, and I don’t see anything in the firmware builder (I created 4.5.0-dev) that sounds like “Remote I.D.” or “Drone I.D.” - I added all the “Ident” features, but no luck there. When I type “DID” to bring up Drone I.D. options in the full parameter list, nothing comes up - but from talking to someone else, that sounds normal (for now I guess).

I changed the Serial4 protocol to 1 and the baud rate to 57,600.

I installed “Drone Scanner” on my Android phone - and don’t see my drone I.D. on the map.

Go back to the standard firmware for now - none of the options are for Drone ID and likely just exceed memory limits of the flight controller.

Change your serial port protocol to 2 for Mavlink2

In MissionPlanner, under the HUD where you have Actions, Messages, Status and so on…
Select the Drone ID tab

I’m unsure if this all “just works” , but it appears the ODID firmware build is required for the tamper-proof capability, but unclear if you need that just to get basic ODID functionality.

Thanks for that Shawn, so a couple things…

1. I have tried Mavlink 1 and 2, neither seem to work.

2. I did not exceed the FC’s memory limit, so that’s not the problem either.

3. When you say go back to the “regular firmware” - do you mean from firmware.ardupilot.org? Looks like 4.4 is the latest stable - so OK, I’ll go try that.

That said, I always have to build a custom firmware to get MSP OSD (to get OSD with my Walksnail goggles), as even though there is plenty of room for that feature (and several others) in the 1MB “standard” firmware, someone somewhere chooses to leave it out for the Kakute F7.

Anyway, I’ll try the standard firmware, using both Mavlink 1 and 2, and report back.

Bill

Well - OK - same - I’m on “4.4 stable” (and lost my OSD) - and tried both Mavlink 1 and 2 - and it SEEMS like Drone I.D. is not working.

Is there anyway to know if the Drone ID itself is doing something? There’s no light, and as far as I can tell, nothing in Mission Planner that shows a Drone ID and if it’s working or not.

I’m just not sure what I’m supposed to see happening if it IS working, except by looking at the Android app to see if my drone is listed on the map, and it’s not.

The CubePilot Remote ID differs from ArduRemoteID, and I don’t think it’s covered by the ArduPilot documentation. My suggestion would be getting in touch with the vendor who sold you the unit, or CubePilot directly.

1 Like

I did follow the Cube pilot instructions - does seem like a simple serial port connection:

Check with CubePilot about the firmware version you need, and more specifically the bootloader.