Tricopter rolling ass

Right on, looks good. I would disable the Static notch.

Yeah I will :-). Just for information here is why I adopted it :
In FFT UI I saw this (first graph of FFT UI):

So I tried those parameters:

And as a result I saw this:

making me think that it should be better with it enabled :slight_smile:

Nope, won’t do anything for accelerometers. All you did was overlap 2 notch filters on the gyro’s. Not good.

:+1: I will kill it :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Well, as is is not windy today I did the autotune…but the tri is now unflyable :woozy_face: This balancing yaw movement has drastically increased to the limit where it becomes hard to maintain the tri in flight (and not :nauseated_face:). It seems to prove that the problem could be solved by tuning the right way…
Here are pre and post tuning values (first column are new values after autotune)

Maybe that I should do another autotune session ?

How did it fly before doing the Autotune? Back to basics here, what prop size and battery power? Post your parameter file. I wouldn’t do another Auto Tune with those ATC_ACCEL_P/R_MAX values that high.

It was flyable but as said, I had this yaw balancing movement that was very annoying. To illustrate it and be sur it was not a physical problem from the frame I filmed the tail during a short flight (sorry for the bad quality):
https://www.amazon.fr/clouddrive/share/Vh3Kk7u21U7uV4dHnvmbPEkS0CxcfWo2RGJ4GEmYC15
Props 7inch
Motors 2807 1300KV
Battery 4S LIPO

Post a link to the .bin file flight log.

2 Likes

Years ago we had problems with tricopter tail wag, and this below is taken from one thread on diydrones.com.

To solve tail wag:
Yaw stabilize: 1.2
Yaw p rate: 0.280
Yaw i rate: 0.038
Yaw d rate: 0.010

Things have changed now but that might point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Looks like one of or a combination of a few things (in order of most to least likely):

• Slop in your tail mechanism

• Yaw acceleration rate is too high

• rate P term is too high

• rate D term is too low

1 Like

Thank you all for your advice. Thanks to you, I reduced the problem and it is now “manageable”. It is still noticeable on camera so I will continue to try eliminating it totally but at least it is no more visible on stabilized recordings like GoPro one. Edge effect is that now my YAW I term is at the bare minimum (0,010) and D is at its max (0,020). It is never good to be on extremities whatever the subject is…
I did not touch IMAX because I do not really understand it’s impact. If someone can explain it and if it could help on my case it would be welcome :slight_smile:

Just wondering if the OP found a solution to the “rolling ass” (love the description).

I did a first flight today with a tricopter. Got LOTS of rolling ass - which for me was the tail yawing back and forth probably +/- 30 degrees (60 total). Did some reading and decreased Stabilize Yaw P all the way down to.75 (down from stock 4.5) over 3-4 flights. Each reduction of a point or so resulted in an improvement to where I was at +/- 10 degrees (total) and a much slower rolling ass.

But…

On the last flight (in POS HOLD for all these flights), the tricopter started to oscillate VERTICALLY - shooting up a few dozen feet and then cutting power to zero and falling a few dozen feet before catching itself and repeating.

I was able to land with minor damage. No idea if the reduction in Stab Yaw P had anything to do with the vertical oscillation. To me that doesn’t make sense but it was the only param change I made.

So…

Luv to find a way to stop my rolling ass :slight_smile: as well as stop the violent vertical oscillations.

Thanks.