Tower disconnect while flying

Hi, I had a problem while I was flying my dron with tower. Everything was working perfect till the telemetry cable got disconnected. From this moment I couldn´t control my copter with tower anymore and I didn’t know what I had to do. Finally I took control with the RC.
What I have to do next time if something like that happens again? How I should to take control of my copter without a RC?
Thanks a lot!

Plug it back in?

I think you answered your own question here. If your only means of control is a GCS and you unplug it, then you have no control. If you have an RC, obviously you use that.

Sorry, I didn´t say that when I realized that the cable was unplugged, I plugged it in immediately.

You can set FAILSAFE to Land or RTL in case you loose connection with GCS or radio or both

Ok, so if you plugged it back in, then what is the problem? I think you need to provide more detail about the situation as this is all very vague. When you plug it back in, it should reconnect. If it doesn’t, simply push the connect button and reconnect it like normal. You should always have an RC controller connected and ready to use.

The GCS Failsafe (parameter FS_GS_ENABLE) only actually does anything when in RC Override mode. So when you’re using a joystick or gamepad connected to the GCS to control the vehicle. It does not do anything in normal flight, or when simply using guided mode to fly around via GCS.

I connected it again but I couldn´t do anything, because in Tower I had only three posibilities, disarm, take off, and auto, but the copter was already flying, so I coudn’t disarm it or land it.
Is this explanation a little bit more accurate?

I’m not sure why it would do that. Probably best to disconnect, exit completely out of Tower, reopen, and reconnect. That’s what my next troubleshooting step would be.

Set the GCS failsafe!
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/gcs-failsafe.html

I would never fly any craft via a GCS. A radio is much more reliable, so only use Tower for telemetry, changing parameters, etc.

The GCS Failsafe (parameter FS_GS_ENABLE) only actually does anything when in RC Override mode. So when you’re using a joystick or gamepad connected to the GCS to control the vehicle. It does not do anything in normal flight, or when simply using guided mode to fly around via GCS.

Matt
Just double checked with @OXINARF and GCS Failsafe is working with GUIDED as well.
Setting the correct parameter would have triggered a RTL in that case .
This is certainly something worth trying , and I will includ that on my next Tower flight :slight_smile:

I vaguely remember some talk of reworking the GCS failsafe to do that. But it doesn’t appear that is the case today. The GCS failsafe event still requires the vehicle to be in guided mode and be in RC override. If it’s just in guided mode, the check will not pass and no failsafe event will occur.

https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/blob/master/ArduCopter/events.cpp#L81

Actually, maybe that that will work. The long running series of not this and not that or not this always makes me dyslexic.