Today's flight... ended in a crash.... Log uploaded

Hi Guys,

Today I decided I had a minute to test the parameters of my last tuning setup, not long into the flight, I had a real hard roll/pitch of forward and left, ironically, I switched the log to included motors just before the flight.

Attached is the file is anyone has a moment to check it out. I’ve had a similar issue months ago where it did sort of the same thing, the front right motor seemed to have stopped and caused this type of crash, I thought it was the spring clip on the bottom of the motor shaft that had slipped off or out of it’s groove causing the motor to slide off the stator in which losing power of course. I looked at the clips and all are in place this time.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Motors are too large and draw alot of power, and with this type of failure, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of confidence in the hex to allow it to fly longer and higher.

F550 hex,
flying in x formation,
Motor’s 1350kv
ESC’s Birdie 30amp.
APM 2.5 3.0.1 firmware.

[quote=“rcflyer40t”]Hi Guys,

Today I decided I had a minute to test the parameters of my last tuning setup, not long into the flight, I had a real hard roll/pitch of forward and left, ironically, I switched the log to included motors just before the flight.

Attached is the file is anyone has a moment to check it out. I’ve had a similar issue months ago where it did sort of the same thing, the front right motor seemed to have stopped and caused this type of crash, I thought it was the spring clip on the bottom of the motor shaft that had slipped off or out of it’s groove causing the motor to slide off the stator in which losing power of course. I looked at the clips and all are in place this time.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Motors are too large and draw alot of power, and with this type of failure, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of confidence in the hex to allow it to fly longer and higher.

F550 hex,
flying in x formation,
Motor’s 1350kv
ESC’s Birdie 30amp.
APM 2.5 3.0.1 firmware.[/quote]

Again with the not being able to edit ones post… that should be looked into. anyways, on my drive to work I realized there was a need for an update. before this mornings flight, I also added to my midhover throttle, from 300 to 330. The last thing was when I came back to my desk, my mission planner showed “fence breached” on the hud. not sure why being ch7 isn’t connected to the receiver. I did however have geofence enabled, just not active with the radio since there was no ch7 hooked up from the receiver to the apm.

Curious, is there anyway to write an algorithm for the apm to recognize a motor failing, sectionalize (doubt that’s a word) the area of the surrounding two motors to stabilize the copter and allow for a safer landing? I’ve seen a micro quad do it recently… food for thought.

This weekend I ran the motors while holding the copter down and couldn’t get a failed motor. So what I did tonight was demonstrate just how two motors react to throttle up. Hope someone can shed some light on this nonsense. Also while reprogramming each ESC, I ran the motors individually and each throttled up smoothly. What could be causing this stutter? I tried disconnecting several ESC’s to see if it was a lack power getting to those two problem ESC’s, but the stutter didn’t go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-adV4fvJ8&feature=youtu.be

After a close look at those logs, I think you are on the right track, the motor outs don’t falter, but the pitch roll and yaw all take a big hit in the middle of the flight.

on your video, I suspect that you need to re-level the copter, it thinks it is leaning over a bit.

as far as the fence failsafe, it is set to on in your param file, and set to 15meters , so you may have just tripped it.
looks like there is nothing wrong with the Hex, but please fix the setting in Mission planner to a larger radius on the fence. it should never be lower than 30meters.

an issue has been raised on mission planner to increase the minimum value that can be set to 30m.

Thanks, I will mark this closed :slight_smile:
Phil