Tiltrotor support for plane

Hi Rolf, i try to make one like this one, with front left motor CCW, front right motor CW, and rear motor CW… but it seams tobe spinning on the left all the time… vectored yaw is not working… is that any other setting that i missing?

Ups… my mistake… i haven’t set the Q_TILT_YAW_ANGLE… problem solve…

Hi fellow VTOL fliers, hoping for some guidance here:

I am currently doing some testing on a Quadplane which has front tilting motors and have run into an issue with servo power. Our first attempt at transition failed as one of the front motors never moved to forward flight position and my initial thoughts are that the servos are too weak to deal with the gyroscopic forces involved. We could increase the BEC voltage from 7.2 to 8.4V which will take the torque up to the max rated power of 40Kg.cm but that is only an increase of 15% and will be too marginal in my opinion. Details of our setup are as follows:

Tilt servos are these: [These from Banggood], which are rated for 40Kg.cm

Front motors are SunnySky X3520 with APC 13x8 props.

We are looking into Volz servo options, eg. DA 15-N-HT. Has anybody had experience with these? Discussions with Volz indicate that they are more realistic about their rated specifications. There are also some Hitec options with similar specs to those in the link above. Anybody have any thoughts on those? What other servo options are available?

Any help/opinions/comments welcome.

Here is the Flight Log

Here is a video of the failed transition attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RxfMDBjVQ

Hi Jacques. Is there a logfile of the failed transition ?

Hi Rolf, I will post shortly

Double postings are not so good, so I answer in your other thread Quadplane with 2 Front Tiltrotors - Servo Power Issues

1 Like

Hi Rolf, I do realize that but did so on Greg Covey’s advice. Not everyone gets to read all threads.

1 Like

Hi folks,
Here’s an update: After a series of ground testing, we’ve (Jacques and myself) have identified the problem - it was the case of an impaired BEC, and we’ve managed it sort it now. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Wasim

Hi,

I don’t see this defined in the Wiki so I was wondering what is the parameter (or parameters) that defines yaw via tilt rotor or yaw via motor speed (or a vectored yaw aircraft)? Is it Q_FRAME_CLASS? Are there any illegal combinations?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Hi all,

I have done a PR to add differential thrust in forward flight using the RUDD_DT_GAIN parameter, it has been tested for a tricopter style tilt rotor, would be great if someone with a quad type tilt rotor could also test it,

I can build the code for your flight controller,

Thanks

Hi Pete,
We can test it on one of our quad tilt-rotor builds but we won’t get to it until the 10th of Jan. If that’s okay with you, we can undertake this task?
Wasim

Great, what flight controller are you using?

We use Pixhawk 2.1 in all of our builds.

I have done a build for cube black.

arduplane.apj (873.7 KB)

Note that this is built on top of master so there my be some other changes if you have been running stable.

Thanks for testing, I look forward to hearing how you get on

1 Like

Hi Peter,
I am running late on my plans due to a series of unexpected events/commitments. If someone else is happy to take over the task of testing it on a quad tilt rotor plane, please feel free. Otherwise, I will test it myself (and provide feedback here) once my existing commitments slackens.
Regards.

With a new design on a Theer Wing frame I was able to finally have somewhat of a successful maiden. Now I just need to play with the Vectored Yaw command volume to keep it from listing/spinning.

@tridge any update on getting the tilt motors to tilt to creep forward while in hover/stabilize modes?
Thanks

Hi, is there an ‘Emergency Motor Stop’ feature for tilt-rotors like there is with copter. This would be very helpful incase of a crash.

its in the works, should be in master in a week or two

1 Like

This is great, thank you Peter.

Here’s a link to my latest tilt rotor build: https://youtu.be/cHCn9pY1x8k

This build was larger than my previous builds and flies really well.