Throttle Control in Loiter and Hover Mode but Not Manual

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this, so I apologize in advance for any basic questions.

Currently, I’m working on a school capstone project to design and develop a VTOL UAV. My team is in the process of setting up all the electronics, motors, and controls for a running test bed. While I haven’t made many parameter changes, I’ve made a few adjustments. The issue I’m encountering is when I attempt to switch to manual mode. The motors respond to my input when running in Qloiter, Qhover, and Qland modes, but when I switch to manual mode, the motors don’t respond to any inputs. Our plan is to use a PS4 controller and telemetry radio for manual flight.

If anyone has recommendations or advice on how to regain control in manual mode, please share them with me. Below, you can find the setup details and parameters I’ve modified in Mission Planner so far:

Setup:

• Pixhawk 6c
  • PM07
  • M8N GPS Module
  • Hyperlite 2306.5 ESeries Motors
  • Bonka 1600mAh 4S 14.8V 150C LiPo Battery
  • Tiger Motors F35A 3-6s ESC BLHeli_32
  • PS4 Controller
  • SiK Telemetry Radio V3 (500mW 915 MHz)
  • Mission Planner

Parameters Changed:

• Q_ENABLE (changed from 0 to 1)
  • Q_FRAME_CLASS (changed from 1 to 7)
  • Q_FRAME_TYPE (changed from 1 to 7)
  • BRD_SAFETYENABLE (changed from 1 to 0)
  • BRD_SAFETYOPTION (changed from 3 to 0)
  • ARMING_CHECK (changed from 1 to 0)

Thank you for your help!

This is the expected behavior. Only the horizontal motor(s) should react to the throttle in the MANUAL mode. The “VTOL” counterpart of STABILIZE is QSTABILIZE, and there is no direct counterpart of MANUAL.

Also be warned if you switch from any of the Q modes directly into Manual mode, it will shutoff the rear motor instantly causing the aircraft to tumble into the ground. You need to switch into QSTABILIZED mode or FBWA instead.

Thanks for the response. So is there any reason to switch in to manual mode? Maybe I am confused but I thought it was so you could have complete control over the aircraft.

You CAN switch to manual mode after the aircraft has finished transitioning and is already flying in STABILIZED or FBWA modes. Just don’t switch directly into manual mode from one of the Q modes.

Most people will fly in FBWA/B or Cruise. Manual mode gives you full old school RC style control. Nothing wrong with that if that’s what you want. FBWA will give you self leveling but you have control of the plane (to it’s pitch and roll limits), and FBWB will self level and hold altitude.

There is no “need” to switch to manual. If you want manual for aerobatic fun flying then you’re best to switch to FBWA for the transition, then manual for the fun stuff once it’s stable.