The general jist of things

Hi everyone I do hope that amongst you there’s enough nice to help me with my project as despite spending hours now reading this that and the other I am still very much in the dark really and lacking a starting point that I need so badly.
My name is mat and I’m wanting to build me a giro copter with a few additional functions but know nothing as regards to how I might control such and having ADHD I am really struggling with the learning of this topic as I find I need to learn in a very specific way if I’m to retain anything useful of it all.
Its perhaps best if I waffle a little first so as you know where I am at generally … So here goes…
I would like as many controls / channels as possible and if they were all servo type controls the better as I have envisaged using such as self made proximity switch’s on the service arm such as a small magnet mounted to servo arm end rotating above a bank of reed switches each of which afford a separate circuit to switch whatever on or of thus affording me a plethera of controls where I otherwise had only a handful of servo controls.
What u don’t understand is all the components and how they all come together in use so it would be great if you could educate me as to :

What is the device that I need to control remotely another device ? I assume I need two ?

How many io does this device afford me and of what type ?

Is it legal for UK use and is there any restrictions

Can I use these modems for transmitting the audio visual images from camera to I assume another modem device for viewing ?

I want to make my own controller in my own configuration to suit my needs … If poss and in an ideal world all controls would be servo outputs … How the devil do I do this and any snippets of code welcomed as I may be able to get the jist and multiply the process to achieve my goals.

I envisage using an arduino mega in craft as it offers me the greatest versatility for outputs and inputs am I right ?

I have very little knowledge of using the arduino mega so any advice is greatly welcomed.

I want to control for as greater distance as possible on a reasonable budget and am wondering if these modem devices have only a limited range of upto 40km is it possible to have further devices at select locations across the country to enable further ranges?

My greatest needs are a starting g point if you can spare the time to point me in the right direction and or just educate me a little .

So to summarize I want :
A plethera of controls the more the meryier and preferably servo type outputs … What can I expect and is it expandable in some way?
I want long range as possible for both the control of the craft and the fpv audio visual images / video.
What do I need in these respects…

I will have a million more questions but as usual when I want them I can’t think of any further questions lol .

What is the sequence of to do,s and the sequence of "requirements " and installations ect … I really need this as I’ve read and read so many various forum pages and formulated no actual plan of action as the info just refuses to go in and stay in so as to make sense but such is the nature of ADHD unfortunately … Any assistance is greatly appreciated and my every intention is to there after document for all others to replicate also but from the perspective of the challenged so its not just my gratitude you’ll feel but hopefully a lot of others that also are strugll

[quote=“thetruthispriceless”]I want to control for as greater distance as possible on a reasonable budget and am wondering if these modem devices have only a limited range of upto 40km is it possible to have further devices at select locations across the country to enable further ranges?

I want long range as possible for both the control of the craft and the fpv audio visual images / video.
What do I need in these respects…
[/quote]

Unfortunately I can only offer some help with these points.

Given you asked about the legality in the UK it’s only fair to point out that legally in the UK you can only fly as far as you can safely see the aircraft (horizontally and vertically). Now, you’re eyesight might be good but I really doubt it can do 40km lol

General rules for flying in the UK with a UAV weighing less than 7kg are -

1. Don’t fly like an idiot, or endanger any person, property or other aircraft.
  2. Flight must be safely doable.
  3. The vehicle must always be flown in line of the unaided sight of the pilot.

When flying with a recording camera (FPV flying or just Videography) -

1. No flying within 150mtr of a congested area or organised gathering of more than 1000 people.
  2. No flying within 50mtr of a person or property UNLESS you own, have control of or have permission of the people/person/owner to do so.
  3. Craft must weigh less than 3.5kg.

When flying with FPV goggles (FPV with a monitor is the same but with you and not an observer) -

1. No flying within around 2-2.5miles of an airport without permission (notaminfo.com/ukmap shows the airspace area).
  2. Must have a competent observer who has to maintain direct unaided site on the craft and knows what’s going on.
  3. no going over 1000ft (304.8mtr) above GROUND level.

Unless you have a CAA license -

1. no getting paid for doing it.

I’m not saying everyone sticks to these rules but if you’re caught breaking them be prepared to receive fines that could be in the thousands - theguardian.com/world/2014/a … conviction

Kinda deflating but I’m still going to press on with the project regardless .

I have a few questions though regarding those things you mentioned …
*. What happens if your chosen drone is considerably heavier than those wee figures you quote… What has to happen then?

*. Are the rules regarding flight distance away from base set in stone or is it that you can do long distance with bla bla bla ?

I really want to long range via arduino modem / cell network with as many channels for controls as poss and if they are all servo outputs …Brilliant !
Its just that I can’t seem to orientate all the component aspects in any sort of order " to do’s" which is why I’m really begging for any kind assistance … A result of ADHD - no matter his many times I read it it doesn’t appear to stick and I generally can’t repeat what I’ve just read albeit over and over hence I’m attempting to try see the modular construct of that which I desire in this project in hopes of being closer to actually succeeding with it and enjoying something that I did for me .

I understand I can control via modem and arduino over the internet for ranges up to 40km potentially and with this revelation I intend to pursue such but lack the knowledge and there really isn’t a decent educator that ticks all box’s in this department … Perhaps because as you say long range is not permitted and thus authorities revel in their relentless removal of Google material regarding said past time.
Where as I personally truly believe that you musnt persicute every man for the fews wrong doing and in this vien I pursue my interest as my intent is decent and wholesum and indeed the technology warrents development and use accordingly as we take tiny steps as a society into the future , the truth will prevail! . … So can I pleasssssse get a lil help

nice article n very helpfull

[quote=“thetruthispriceless”]Kinda deflating but I’m still going to press on with the project regardless .

I have a few questions though regarding those things you mentioned …
*. What happens if your chosen drone is considerably heavier than those wee figures you quote… What has to happen then?

*. Are the rules regarding flight distance away from base set in stone or is it that you can do long distance with bla bla bla ?
[/quote]

If the UAV is over 3.5kg then it would be illegal to fly it FPV at all, and if it’s over 7kg then you are capped at 400ft and no higher and need permission to fly in in A, C, D and E airspace. Over 20kg you will need certificates of air worthiness and a CAA inspection.

All of those distances are set in stone for safety reasons.

If you do break the rules (and I’m sure everyone does) then be prepared for CAA to come down on you like a ton of bricks. With the amount of bad press “drones” are getting over here they’re pretty much being backed into a corner now and will actively start prosecuting.

You will probably find getting help for this project difficult purely based on how illegal the flights would be, not many people would be willing to get involved with it.

Thanks that’s really useful info …
My interest stems from the very many things one could control remotely and long distance which is virtually endless however I find that such info is not as readily available as one might think … Which given the era of "mobiles ’ is unusual in my mind , it strikes me that generally as a blanket measure the powers that be are lessening the availability of such material.

Tell me this if you can … Where do autopilited flights stand …those such as controlled by ardupilot etc , are they also regulated by exactly the same rules as drones?

I will be controlling long distance whatever one way or another and would greatly like to cooperate with like minded folk to these ends , I am particularly interested in the sim900 for sending and receiving AT commands through SMS affording a hand full of gpio and two pwm outputs ( the use of two to achieve more pwm controls - 4 )
Also
Ioio android mobile phone breakout board affording 30 ish gpio and 9 I think pwm outputs or there abouts please feel free to check.
Also …3g GPRS modem and again via net control be that andriod mobile controlled or breakout ioio controller .
And there will I know be more various ways to control n connect with all the things we use out there in real time and with a delay but unless its actually taken up and used it won’t ever get past the ever controlling and dictorial powers in the first instance , this is an era of tech more than cabable of achieving full automation and connect / control …the point ought to be how we regulate such to maintain security and welfare and not stop the world from doing anything at all because a nominal number of said society may use it inappropriately .

Any and all assistance and advice is greatly welcomed.

Mat

For instance…

I have a couple of robots I bought with a view to hacking them and affording them some unconventional abilities but would like very much to have real time control with eyes however its achieved , I want to get to a place where I can let’s say set up through beam n pir sensing across my gateway and door approach activating my arduino mega robot to attend the door and via camera link communicate to whomever outside a given script and option buttons and posses the power to control/ open door and have a virtual tech presence at the control of my fingertips .
All of which I have fair idea of how to do except the long distance control and camera link …which is that slice of info that’s being willfully withheld lol.
For instance…
A photo sensitive cell in a tiny pipe a couple of inch long with a small current running through it connected to arduino input as means of trigger to initiate some routine ( ( robot go see )) whilst pointing laser at photo cell and spanning entrance .
Arduino robot listens for door knock and if over x decibels then camera link with door .,… The door opens via an overhead thread / motor arduino relay output with limit switch’s etc bla bla but k can’t bloody do owr half interesting or fun in thus respect cuz no one will share any long distance control info period.!

If the flight controller is in auto then as far as CAA is concerned you can only fly line of sight. How else would you know when to take control back due to a problem/collision. Currently RTH is not seen as a valid failsafe either so to remain legal, a loss of rc control SHOULD result in throttle going to minimum so the UAV drops to the ground.

It’s not so much the information being witheld and more a case of the information not being there due to being illegal. You’re best bet would be speaking to people who are using UHF systems but again, you would still be breaking the law in the UK and if found out would be subject to fines and a criminal record.