Testers needed for in-flight compass learning

thanks to everyone for testing this feature, much appreciated!
It is now merged into master, so it can be tested with the ‘latest’ auto-builds.
@master-of-desaster-8 the Pixhawk4 build should appear on firmware.ardupilot.org in the next couple of hours
@marco3dr I know you suggested some improvements in the buzzer and LED patterns - we can do that as a separate PR after this one
Cheers, Tridge

Don’t forget about the MAVLink message @tridge

:slight_smile:

You can actually do it via MAVLink now, using a param_set_value(“COMPASS_LEARN”, 3), but I agree that a better interface would be nice

ok, this should be enough :slight_smile:

Am I the only one having trouble with this with Pixracer? The firmware in your link caused the RC input to quit and the same thing happens when I load master now (3.7-dev from today). Incidentally the Frsky passthrough telemetry stops also. I load beta back on and all good. Seems odd because another user in this thread said he had no problem in this regard with a Pixracer

Hi Dave,

just tested: The firmware works fine on my (original) Pixracer. No problems with the RC input (FrSky) or the Frsky passthrough telemetry.

Rolf

Thanks Rolf, that’s 2 Pixracers at least working fine and mine not so I’ll investigate for another problem. I have 2 other PixRacers to try also.

Also no issues with master on a PixRacer R14 still from AUAV.

Hi Tridge,
could You tell me how to get the “expected_mag(GPS,ATT).x” graph in the MAVExplorer?
To graph the “MAG.MagY” is no problem, but on the first one I fail.
Would be interresting to see how accurate the calibration was.

Cheers,
Markus

Hello Tridge,

Yesterday weather was nice - so I could test the new function.
At the Mavlink I got the follwo message:

I apologize for the unrelated question.
But I’m curious to ask a question.

How does the plane change with compass learning?
Does it show better flight performance in poshold, althold or auto?

1 Like

Question: what is the difference between this new learning and the other learning options? (COMPASS_LEARN=1,2)

The Advanced Compass Configuration (http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-compass-setup-advanced.html#common-compass-setup-advanced) says " * Automatically learn offsets : TBD."

2 Likes

Hi Tridge,

Today I got a succsesfull calibration.

Cheers Markus

This is a bit off topic but ran into it while testing in-flight compass. I had random rc commanded flight mode changes after a master update. I just saw that you made a change to rc commands and updated. Solved the issue, now all is well with the world😎. Thanks for all your efforts and skill, this just keeps getting better.
Cheers, Randy

@tridge

• does probing compasses for learning disable their use for flying completly ? is it hardware related ?
  • wouldn’t it be possible to do a compass learning in an altitude hold mode with an automatic fly pattern staying a circular geofence of 15m (just like autotune in loiter) ? Would be awesome to to a in flight compass calibration with an auto pattern !

Hi @tridge

I only just found this thread…I’ll give it a go when I get a chance. Pain in the ass pulling everything off the mower for calibration. Cool!
Ta,
Ben

1 Like

This is a great feature; works amazingly for larger vehicles!

Would be great to see this feature in the top level Mission Planner menus and better documented rather than being hidden away in the full parameters list.

Thanks again developers!

2 Likes

@Russj How large? …I would like to try it, but I’m not quite sure yet, so any feedback is useful and welcome.

And is there any estimate, when this awesome feature will be in stable release?

Hi Bovi

It’s in the current stable rover FW. Follow Tridge’s notes from the top of the thread, quoted below. I’ve tested it on a 2m catamaran and the accurate compass calibration improved auto behavior no end.

You’ll need to set COMPASS_LEARN to 3 using the full parameters list in MP; I don’t think you’ll see it in any of the graphical parameter lists. Watch the messages on your MP messages screen or TX telemetry and you’ll see when it says it’s complete. The setting reverts to 2 when completed.

Very smart!