Telemetry Baud Rates 57,600bps or 115,200bps

Hello.

Is there any disadvantage to using 57,600bps instead of 115,200bps for telemetry to Mission Planner?

Thanks,

Paul

without knowing what you connecting to no real good recommendation can be give. please provide a little bit more info

Michael,

Thanks for replying. I use a Navio2 with a GPS, Emlid power module and a GY-282 external compass module. I run streaming video from the Raspberry Pi and use an LTE link transport the telemetry and video. The LTE gets up to 1.5Mb/s on a good day, so I think I have enough bandwidth to support both the streaming video and telemetry. I run the streaming video at 1Mb/s.

Do Ardupilot and Mission Planner have a minimum requirement? On the bench I set the telemetry baud rate as low as 19,200 and did not see a big difference in the way it updated on the Mission Planner screens.

During flights however it is a different story. On some flights the telemetry indicator in the upper right hand corner of the HUD can run as low as 7% - with the baud rate set at either 57,600bps or 115,200bps. Does that indicator represent a running calculation of the error rate in real time?

As far as I can tell nothing else besides the telemetry link quality indicator suffers as a result of possible errors and possible slow telemetry. Or maybe I’m experiencing it in the form of delayed updates to the data on the Mission Planner screens?

Thanks for your opinions Michael,

Paul

Michael,

If there is a good wiki page on this, or help text in MP, it would be nice to get some insights as to MP mavlink telemetry realities, strategies, etc. This is a significant topic on dragonlink, ULRS, and other RC telemetry threads. The smarter we and MP can be, the better, as the thirst for data from the sky grows. The tech industry talks about Big Data, and while flight telemetry is many zeroes behind the tera volumes of terrestrial systems, our thirst for real-time data is only going to grow. Help us understand how to use MP optimally.

Kelly