TBS Tracer rapid connect/disconnect

I’ve been using TBS Tracer via SBUS successfully for some time, but decided to try it via CRSF to be able to use Yaapu and other telemetry. Everything seems to work (RC calibration page works, gimbal moves as it should, I can see telemetry info on my RC controller) but it rapidly connects and disconnects over and over again. From the Mission Planner messages it looks like the telemetry rate is changing? The Tracer TX and RX firmware are up to date.

This is with a CUAV Nora, the Tracer is connected to Serial1 which I think should have DMA.
Parameters:
2023_Nora_CRSF.param (18.3 KB)

I use tracer on all my builds without issue, so something strange going on. What tracer firmware version do you have?

v6.19 on the RX and TX.

With some more testing - it looks like it works better if I turn on the radio before the aircraft. It then does CRSFv3. But the problem returns if I power cycle the radio to simulate a failsafe, so I’m concerned about failsafe behavior, that it won’t clear.

Also, if I reset the aircraft from MP (preflight reboot shutdown) the FC loses all connection with the receiver. The radio and receiver are still connected - there’s a green light on the RX - but the aircraft acts as if the radio were turned off.

Screenshot from a start where the connect/disconnect stops once CSRFv3 is recognized:

Losing RX on soft reboot is a known issue - Rescan at CRSFv3 baudrates to avoid RX loss by andyp1per · Pull Request #24283 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub

Failsafes should work fine however.

What flight controller is this? There are some issues with slower MCUs and the baud rates that CRSF requires - I am working on a fix for this.

It’s a CUAV Nora. As an H7 I’d expect it to be able to handle it.

Would downgrading Tracer to a version with CRSFv2 be helpful?

No 6.19 is fine, and yes H7 should be fine. I have a Nora+ that I can test but not for a couple of weeks.

I have seen this also on latest beta using crossfire on 6.19. Its a must to turn on radio first had a quad arm and go skipping merrily across the driveway doing that same exact radio failsafe behavior you have
there. This was using pixracer and was on 4.4.0 beta1

It looks like it’s working now. I tried factory resetting the RX and TX. I tried going back to 6.17, but that didn’t fix the issue (except for soft reboots). After reloading 6.19 it is working even if I power the transmitter after the receiver. Failsafe clears OK if I turn off and then repower the transmitter. All only tested on the bench so far.

I noticed in the 6.13 release notes that it said one may have to load the firmware twice because of updated protocols. It’s possible I went straight from 5.x to 6.19 on this setup and loading the firmware a few more times helped.

1 Like

Everything works fine in the air. If this is happening to you the Tracer firmware shuffle may help.