TBS Discovery + APM Build

Hello everyone,

I have a new TBS Discovery frame waiting to be built and I am considering purchasing an APM for the flight controller. Although I have seen several TBS Disco APM builds, I do not think it is quite common. I am curious, could this be because of the integrated PDB inside the bottom plate of the TBS Discovery? I suspect this may be an interference issue.

If anyone has any experience doing a TBS Discovery + APM build, please msg me. I would love to touch base and share ideas.

Hi everyone,
I had my maiden flight today and it went not too bad… it’s flying, but…
…of course some problems.
I really need some help to solve them.

• First of all in “Altitude Hold Mode” it goes slowly either up in the sky or down and eventually lands.
    Barometer sensor is working correctly, I checked.
    I guess it’s a parameter problem.

• It twitches sometimes when it’s in either “Alt Hold Mode” or “Loiter Mode” also when I fly aggressive in “Stabilize Mode”.
    Again parameters…

• It’s flying sluggish and needs a lot of corrections on the sticks. Once it’s flying in one direction it keeps drifting when I let the sticks go. It’s not in Acro mode.
    I have also an 3DR Quadcopter and this one doesn’t drift further when I let the sticks go e.g. in forward flight.
    Wrong parameters I think.

• When I use the ch7 or ch8 option “ResetToArmedYaw” the copter is turning left 90 degree. It should turn to face the same direction that it was facing when it was first armed. Again my 3DR Quadcopter does this without problems. My compass is mounted and calibrated correctly and points exactly where it should at Mission Planner’s compass gauge.
    No idea what could cause this…

In the Arducopter V3.1-rc5 Quad is a function called “AutoTune” copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/autotune/
Has anyone tried this successfully ?

Offset angles for the TBS Discovery arms:
I changed the standard angles of the V frame in the firmware version 3.0.1 to:
}else if( _frame_orientation == AP_MOTORS_V_FRAME ) {
// V frame set-up
add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_1, [color=#FF0000]55[/color], 0.7981, 1);
add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_2, [color=#FF0000]-125[/color], 1.0000, 3);
add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_3, [color=#FF0000]-55[/color], -0.7981, 4);
add_motor(AP_MOTORS_MOT_4, [color=#FF0000]125[/color], -1.0000, 2);
Original it’s 45, -135, -45, 135.

I checked vibrations and electric interference and it’s all well within the limits. Compassmot has in full throttle only 4% interference to the compass. Limit is 30%.

My TBS Discovery Pro is all original like 9x5 props 900kv motors exept I use APM 2.6 as Flight controller and not Naza. Battery 4S Turnigy Nano 5000mAh.

I would appreciate any help.

My Disco flies great, I really love it. PID settings here: ning.it/1gXqf41