TBS Crossfire Bluetooth Mavlink Telemetry - Mission Planner stucks "Getting params" on connection

Hi.

I’m trying to get mavlink telemetry in my mission planner runing in my notebook. To get this i have configured TBS Corssfire Transmiter Bluetooth to “MAVLINK” and feed mavlink rx/tx configured outputs in my receivers (diversity receiver an nano diversity receiver) from telemetry outputs of my Pixhawk 2.1 and Matek F405-Wing (1st runing arducopter and 2nd runing arduplane).

I can connect via bluetooth to Crossfire TX, but mission planner stucks while “Getting params” dialog box is continuosly shown. Mission planner receive some kind of telemetry data cause if i move the hexacopter or the flyingwing the mission planner’s hud shows these movements, almost with 1 second lag but getting updated.

All Crossfire devices (TX and RXs) all updated to latest firmware 2.95.

I need mavlink throught bluetooth funcionality up and runing at its best.

I can’t afford to get expensive RF900 modules for all my UAVs in order to get good mavlink bidireccional telemetry.

Thanks in advance.

Miguel.

If you’re looking for long range, Bluetooth can’t cut it.

The range of Bluetooth is dependent on its class and primarily there are three classes of Bluetooth:
Class 1 transmitting at 100 mW with a range of 100 meters or 328 feet.
Class 2 transmitting at 2.5 mW with a range of 10 meters or 33 feet.
Class 3 transmitting at 1 mW with a range of less than 10 meters.

Thanks OldGazer. Bluetooth is used only between Crossfire TX attached to my Taranis and my notebook where i run Mission Planner.

Thanks again.

did anyone solve this? having the same issues

According to the Crossfire manual on the TBS website, telemetry data has been eliminated in later versions of the software. See below:

Real-time telemetry using app link
The transmitter has a wireless close range telemetry module built-in for easy telemetry distribution to a
PC, MAC, tablet or phone. TBS CROSSFIRE supports different modes for different use cases.
Note: This section is only applies if you are using the Standard TX. The Micro TX is not equipped with
Bluetooth module.
• OFF
○ Close range telemetry module is completely disabled and won’t show up if you search for
devices.
• MAVLink Emulator (MAV Emu)
○ This mode is recommended if you have any kind of GPS source attached over BST ( TBS
GPS, DJI NAZA over TBS BLACKBOX, MAVLink FC over TBS BLACKBOX, ET Vector). If this
mode is selected an FC is emulated inside the TBS CROSSFIRE transmitter. This gives you
the ability to track your copter/plane in real-time with any MAVLink capable app on your
phone (e.g. Droidplanner app ) or GCS on your PC or MAC (e.g. QGroundControl)
• TBS
○ Telemetry data is sent in JSON format if this mode is active. This option has been removed
in later firmware versions.

Telemetry with Crossfire works on Mavlink1.

Hi Robert.

I can’t see anything related to mavlink telemetry has been deprecated by TBS in the last (2019-03-24) TBS Crossfire manual at TBS Crossfire Manual.

Real-time telemetry using app link
The transmitter has a wireless close range telemetry module built-in for easy telemetry distribution to a
PC, MAC, tablet or phone. TBS CROSSFIRE supports different modes for different use cases.
Note: This section is only applies if you are using the Standard TX. The Micro TX is not equipped with
Bluetooth module.
• OFF
○ Close range telemetry module is completely disabled and won’t show up if you search for
devices.
• MAVLink Emulator (MAV Emu)
○ This mode is recommended if you have any kind of GPS source attached over BST ( TBS
GPS, DJI NAZA over TBS BLACKBOX, MAVLink FC over TBS BLACKBOX, ET Vector). If this
mode is selected an FC is emulated inside the TBS CROSSFIRE transmitter. This gives you
the ability to track your copter/plane in real-time with any MAVLink capable app on your
phone (e.g. Droidplanner app ) or GCS on your PC or MAC (e.g. QGroundControl )
• TBS
○ Telemetry data is sent in JSON format if this mode is active. This option has been removed
in later firmware versions.
• Serial Bridge
○ This mode is used for serial bridge between your connected device and the receiver.
Please refer to the Serial bridge section for further information.
MAVLink
> ○ This mode is used to pass MAVLink messages back and forth. Use this mode if you have a
> MAVLink FC connected to the diversity receiver. Please refer to the MAVLink section for
> further information.
Device pairing
Once the CROSSFIRE is up and running, go to the PC, MAC, tablet or phone’s pairing screen and look for a
new device called “Crossfire ####” in the list. Tap the CROSSFIRE entry and accept the pairing request. It is
now ready to be used with Droidplanner.

Where did you get that info from?

Thanks.

1 Like

Anyway, Crossfire doesn’t offer bandwidth enough to carry mavlink telemetry in a reliable mode.

Im changing to RFD886 TXMOD radios. Its another level.

Whoever will read this: double check your channel output of the Crossfire RX: you need to have the channels connected to the serial of the FC on Mavlink RX/TX. I had it set to serial RX/TX and I had the same error: stuck at reading the parameters.