Tarot Gimbal documentation page, Calibration, APM behavior

This is in regards to the documentation at copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/ and perhaps the behavior of APM itself.

I just finished a month-long quest to figure out why I could not use the RC6/RC7 channels to control the tilt of my Tarot-T2D gimbal.

At some point in the history of my using APM, I had clicked on “point camera here” in the interface, and unwittingly had set MNT_MODE = 2 (MavLink_targeting).

Today after months of tinkering, debugging, breaking and fixing the control board, rewiring, etc, etc, I discovered that if I set MNT_MODE = 3 (RC_Targeting) everything works as intended.

THIS SHOULD BE DOCUMENTED ON THE WIKI!!!

Also, the process of calibrating the behavior of the tilt servo of the the Tarot-T2D should also be documented.

Here are the group of settings that got me reasonable performance with my Spektrum DX7s on AUX2:

MNT_MODE = 3 (RC_Targeting = Eureka!)
MNT_RC_IN_TILT = 7 (RC7)
RC7_Function = 0 Disabled
RC7_Max = 1851 (calibrated max)
RC7_Min = 1169 (calibrated min)
RC7_Trim = 1510 (where the mid-point “beep” is)
RC9_Function = 7 (mount_tilt)
RC9_Max = 1520 (trial-and-error max)
RC9_Min = 1070 (trial-and-error min)
RC9_Trim = 1295 (average of min/max)
MNT_ANGMAX_TIL = 0
MNT_ANGMIN_TIL = -90

Also, I had to use the Tarot windows configuration utility, and set the following:
Angle Limit Max 15
Angle Limit Min -100
Total Gain 100
RC Sensitivity 100

With these settings I can verify that the Tarot is getting a range of inputs from 0 to -90° tilt, (but I needed to open up the Tarot max/min to allow it to get there for some reason).

I’d appreciate if someone could verify “this is how its done” or point me to a better set of docs. I haven’t played with the MAVLink targeting enough to know if that’s working with these parameters yet.

Also - there might be a bug in APM Planner in the RC#_REV settings. The documentation says that 1 is for “normal” and -1 is for “inverse”, but the parameter seems to be 0 to 255. This might explain why clicking the “invert” button in APM Planner results in it unchecking when it sets and reads-back the parameter.

Once I understand the calibration and control better, I’d love to hook the “roll” up to the Pixhawk for some sort of “damped” body-fixed roll control which allows the camera to stabilize the general flight path, but keep up with the large roll angles you can get in DRIFT mode.

Great finding :slight_smile:

Just as a complement could you please say on which pins of the PixHawk you connected the Tarot, i.e. the Roll control to which pins and the Tilt control to which also.

I have a DYS 3 axis and currently use 3 channels straight from the receiver, but wanted to have a bit more “integration” specially concerning the ROI feature of the APM.

I’m using the AUX1 channel (RC9), “Minus” and “Signal” pins for the tilt control to the one of the two negative pins, and the “T” pin respectively on the Tarot.

If/when I hook up roll, I’d use the AUX2 (RC10) to the R pin on the tarot.

Thanks.

I used that also, but apparently that reduces the available channels (the 8 channels that current APM recognizes on the PixHawk copter)

[quote=“interplanetary”]I’m using the AUX1 channel (RC9), “Minus” and “Signal” pins for the tilt control to the one of the two negative pins, and the “T” pin respectively on the Tarot.

If/when I hook up roll, I’d use the AUX2 (RC10) to the R pin on the tarot.[/quote]

Yes, this should be documented! It took me hours to find this!