Tarot gimbal connections

There is an apparent disconnect/contradiction between what is shown on the 3DR site for the setup for the Iris/Tarot gimbal (copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/). On the wiki page, the ground is shown connected on the bottom row…on the 3DR site setup guide, it is on the middle row of pins.

So, can someone state which is correct, the wiki page, or the 3DR/Iris-Tarot setup .pdf file.

And it would be helpful if the 3DR setup pdf file for the Tarot (for connecting to the Iris), showed the connections to the Pixhawk so that I can verify my connections are correct.

[quote=“ronaldo5593”]There is an apparent disconnect/contradiction between what is shown on the 3DR site for the setup for the Iris/Tarot gimbal (copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/). On the wiki page, the ground is shown connected on the bottom row…on the 3DR site setup guide, it is on the middle row of pins.

So, can someone state which is correct, the wiki page, or the 3DR/Iris-Tarot setup .pdf file.

And it would be helpful if the 3DR setup pdf file for the Tarot (for connecting to the Iris), showed the connections to the Pixhawk so that I can verify my connections are correct.[/quote]

I tried getting help from 3DR, but apparently that isn’t available…I called 3DR and was told by customer service I could not speak to technical support, so I thought at least 3DR would provide a response…but guess I was wrong. 3DR, your lack of customer service WILL be your undoing. You have a great product, but that will not be enough for you to be successful…IMHO.

All the gimbal needs to work is 12v power. The other pins are solely for controlling the gimbal. Roll control is pretty useless in my opinion. I just have tilt hooked up. You also don’t need a ground for that. I also found it easier to just go straight from the RX to the T pin on the gimbal. Then set that channel on your TX to use a potentiometer and you’re good to go. If you don’t have fpv, it may be helpful to connect another channel on a switch to the center pin for when you want to center the camera.

If you do want to hook up the ground, it doesn’t matter which ground it’s connected to. They are all connected on the board.

As ronaldo5593 is saying there is a difference in the ground connection in the wiki but the both connections are in - pins so they are common and should be no problem.

The documentation has changed, but still require more changes
3drobotics.com/wp-content/upload … RIS-V6.pdf

Attached is a picture that explain some findings in the documentation, another solution is to connect the red wire (for roll) and enable it in mission planner as RC10. Inside the Iris the roll signal is connected to AUX OUT 2 (RC10), but the Input channel of the roll should be disabled (no rc channel configured to control the roll by default).

I hope this information helps!

The wiki is correct. We are working to get the pdf document updated

The pdf document has been updated

3drobotics.com/wp-content/upload … RIS-X1.pdf