Tarcking depth from an echosounder for a Boat platform

Hello,

I have a boat setup and I would like to take data from an echosounder that outputs NMEA 0183 sentences. using the tiny GPS library I would like to pass depth and temperature output from the echosounder, save it in the local log file alongside all of the other parameters (altitude, speed, etc) and I would also liek to transmit it via telemetry to a tablet/laptop running mission planner…

Two questions:
-Where is the best place to “inject” my echosounder data in the current APM Rover code / libraries?
-How easily can mission planner accept new parameters via telemetry and then save them to the Tlog?

Thanks in advance!

@funnnyguy1
Hi am attempting to do the same thing that you are doing using a Garmin Intelliducer that outputs NMEA 0183 sentences.
I am presently planning to use a separate telemetry radio link to transmit GPS and depth data to my laptop as getting the data into the MavLink data stream may be tricky.
Here is a link to my Pontoon RSV Project: http://diydrones.com/group/arduboat-user-group/forum/topics/pontoon-remote-survey-vehicle-rsv
Since no one answered your post, did you have any luck with your request elsewhere on the web?
Regards,
TCIII Autonomous Vehicle Developer