Suggestions for a test-platform for Pixhawk 2.1-tests?

What du you suggest is a good test-platform? Frankenstein!

Before Pixhawk I used two DJI FlameWheel F450 as testplatforms for lots of different controllers, cameras, gimbals, GPSs, sensors, propellers, batteries, weights, …
I pushed it a lot to test different settings, I tried to fly it hard to make it (not) crash, which I did several times and learned about it. I tried hard winds and turbulence, freezing conditions, snow, aso. The controller was wrapped in foam.

But then Pixhawk “1” and 2.1 came and I had learned a lot and developed my own checklist for a stable build and settings for next copters. Now I build them complete and ready to use, only a few flights with autotune and then use for mapping by a company. The previous model (Vulcan hexa) have been working for three years without any problems at all. The newest model (Vulcan octa) flew earlier this week and autotune soon.

But… I want to test more, like fence, ADS-B, sensors, LiIons, and so on. I need a test-copter again! A DJI F450 is too small. What do you suggest is a good work horse that is simple to rebuild and get parts to? Its the frame I am mostly interested in. Motorsetup and electronics is no problem to find.

/MickeM

I’ve just finished a Hexsoon EDU-450 build as a test platform for student project I’m developing. It’s a good test frame, but it’s only slightly bigger than DJI-F450. There does seem to be some good space on it for components though so depending on how much bigger you need it might fit the bill.

Hexsoon also builds sells a 650. https://irlock.com/collections/pixhawk2/products/td-650-teardrop-energy-saving-aerodynamic-rotorcraft. I’ve never tried the 650, but I’m pretty impressed with the 450 as a solid basic machine, so hopefully the 650 follows the same path.

The Hex Soon EDU450 seems to have bigger plates and more room.
I only need the frame though. I got motors, ESCs, propellers, electronics.
I will probably use old 3S 8000 or 4S 4000, dont know yet.

What about the Tarot frames. They are truly solid designed and I am starting a 690 shortly .
I love the retractable landing gear as well but not to sure how robust they are in a less than perfect landing lol
???
JCD

Thanks for good advices!

I have been thinking about the needs and I dont need to test gimbals/cameras with this one. I got a crashed Tarot FY680 Pro and stretched it to a 810 that will be used for that sort of testing. Tarot are good looking and lots of parts everywhere (big plus I know). But a little bit unnecessary complex with folding arms and legs in the way. Too tight for electronics between the plates.

I know it is only frames, timeless?, but Tarot Ironman 650 are from 2012, Tarot 650 Sport and Tarot X4 are from 2014 and Tarot XS690 are from 2016. It would be fun to test another and newer frame.

Since I dont need a “big” quad like 600+ size for a testplatform now, a Hex Soon EDU-450 is what I need. Simple bottom + top plate construction that dont fall apart when taking off the top plate (if built that way). It have bigger plates and more room between the plates. And also legs under the motors. Should be perfect.

But where can I find the frame only or parts to build a frame? I dont need a combo-package.