Suggestion - list all parameters checked by Initial Parameter Setup utility

I noticed that the Initial Parameter Setup utility only reports the parameters where it suggests a change.

This caused me a bit of head scratching today because I got two different results when I ran it two times.

For example, the first time it reported a recommended new value for MOT_THST_HOVER and when I ran it at a later time, this parameter was not on the list of it recommended settings.

At first I thought that maybe I had used a different version of Mission Planer. I finally figured out that if the Initial Parameter Setup utility finds that the recommended setting is already set - it doesn’t report it.

As this utility is designed to help new users, I suggest that the utility report the current and recommend values of all the parameters it checks. That way it will be easier for a new user to keep track of all the important initial parameters.

In addition, the wiki would benefit from listing all the parameters that this utility checks.

Thanks

Ardupilot Methodic configurator does calculate the “MP initial parameters” in a dedicated step and presents them in the way you want already.

Why aren’t you using it?

I’m not using it because this is the first I’ve heard of it. Where have you been hiding it?

Following a link in your readme, I found the link to your “How to methodically configure…” blog post: How to methodically configure and tune any ArduCopter

Nice to see some tuning instructions that include BL_Heli. I’ve had good success using BLHeli_32 and BDshot.

It may take a bit of time to figure out your Methodic configurator.

I don’t know what a “template” is - or how to create one. None of the listed ones look all that close to what I’m doing with this EDU-450.

And I’m guessing that the configurator does a lot more than just calculate initial tuning parameters.

If you’ve got a tutorial available, I’d enjoy learning how to use your software.

There is:

1. a QuickStart.md file and
  2. a usermanual.md file and
  3. the blog post how to methodically configure and tune ArduCopter and
  4. The A new methodic configurator GUI Blog post

Yes the configurator does a lot more. And does it very good if you obey all the instructions, especially the reason changed fields.

You do not need to know what a template is. Nor create one.

You do not need to find one that matches your vehicle. You just need to find one that is closest to yours.

If you provide the resulting files to me, I can add that as a template for future users.

1 Like