Struggling to get MP working right on low spec netbook

Hi, I’m trying to get MP working on a low spec netbook that has a single core 1.6ghz atom CPU and 2gb ram.

Windows MP installs and the software itself works reasonably well and connecting though USB things are useable and not as laggy as I was expecting but trying to connect through a 433mhz sik module results in very long parameter load times and then telemetry is next to non existent and updates like once every couple of mins!

I’ve tried all sorts of baud rates and nothing fixes it, the data link packet loss indicator on the top right of the HUD also drops to as low as 9!

Connecting the exact same setup to MP on my desktop or my proper laptops works fine though the telemetry radios and even more weird is I installed android on the netbook and tried MP for android and the data link quality is very good and telemetry comes though fine but the rest of the software is so laggy running on the 86x android that its not really a viable option as each menu screen takes forever to load :frowning:

Can anyone suggest anything on the windows install of MP please, the netbook is running at 56% cpu usage and 40% ram useage with MP running so not a lack of resources and like I said its fine though USB and its just the telemetry radio.

Yes, I could take a proper laptop to the field but both my decent machines are 17" wide screen laptops and also munch the battery’s but the netbook is a ultra portable tiny little 10" machine and lasts forever on its battery making it very desirable for field use!

I tried installing Android MP on my 8.4" tablet but the software won’t run on lollipop and due to a locked bootloader I can’t install a custom ROM and lollipop is the last update this tablet got.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve.

I had issues with power on a similar setup. Ended up using a powered usb hub and that took care of it. I don’t know if that’s your issue but maybe a quick thing to rule out if you have one laying around

The USB standard dictates 500ma or more to be compliant, there is however conflicting information on the current draw as some places state the 500mw modules draw 500ma @ 20dbm which is 100mw! And others just state they draw 500ma and make no mention of power level for that draw.

I will be testing mine in a few mins to see what it actually pulls though usb but I don’t think that’s the problem as current availability is hardware based and not software and the module works fine on the same netbook when running in android x86 and the android version of MP but the software itself is so laggy that its not really useable which is why I’m trying to get the modules running right in the windows version of mp as in windows the software itself is surprisingly responsive for the low specs of the netbook and telem through a direct USB connection is responsive and updates at a decent rate.

I was wrong about the android mp not installing on lollipop and it has to be a dislike for the hardware my tablet it running, I’ve managed to get it on my phone and launch but I can’t use my phone as my phones USB socket is knackered but being a Sony xperia it has an additional power only magnetic charge port so hasn’t stopped me using the phone, just can’t plug in USB devices :frowning:

Ended up buying another netbook with a dual core 1.6ghz atom CPU telemetry is working perfectly now, it has to have been the lack of CPU resources causing the problem.

Its not quite as snappy as my desktop or my proper laptops but the 10" netbook is ultra portable and has a monster battery life :slight_smile:

i use to test MP on a single core atom, but i upgrade it from windows 7 to 10, and now its unusable, even without running anything, so the min spec is definitely something with more than one core.

Yeah, after I changed to another atom netbook, two cores fixed all the problems, its got faster ram as well (ddr3 vs ddr2) which may of helped.

Your android version is great and I’d love to run that on my tablet but it refuses to run unfortunately.

It will run fine on my phone and ran on the single core atom netbook booted into 86x android but crashes instantly on my quad core atom tablet :frowning: