Strange Yaw Behavior in Simple Mode

Guys I´ve aligned my X4 (APM2.5) to north and took off on simple mode.
Without touching the yaw, with the front aligned to north, it was flying really good!

But when I changed the yaw disaster! It was like I was changing the reference by the same ammount of yaw that i gave. I could undo the change by moving back the yaw on the same ammount…

In other way, during simple mode the X4 was minding the yaw change, so forward was not forward anymore…

I hope I could make myself clear enough so someone could help me solve this mistery.
Thank you very much and happy new year to you all!

Cheers,
Rafael

Sorry, your description isn’t clear to me. Are you saying that when you yaw 90degrees clockwise from North to face East and push forward, it flies East rather than North? If so, are you sure you’re in simple mode? A log would help, of course.

Did you run compassmot?

Forward in respect to the airframe? or forward as in away from you and going north?

if the first one then the the airframe wont fly forward in its normal way after you have yawed. pushing the stick forward means the copter goes north in this case regardless of airframe direction in simple mode.

Rickp, what you described is correct!
"…yaw 90degrees clockwise from North to face East and push forward, it flies East rather than North"

I will double check in the log if it was in simple mode, but I am 100% sure that those simple mode checkboxes were checked, any chance during upload those checboxes were ignored?

reagrding calibration I did only the simple calibration. I did NOT the compassmot, I will try it and post the results here. Hope it will help!

Anyway, thank you and RabbitStu very much!

[quote=“barmak”]Rickp, what you described is correct!
"…yaw 90degrees clockwise from North to face East and push forward, it flies East rather than North"

I will double check in the log if it was in simple mode, but I am 100% sure that those simple mode checkboxes were checked, any chance during upload those checboxes were ignored?

reagrding calibration I did only the simple calibration. I did NOT the compassmot, I will try it and post the results here. Hope it will help!

Anyway, thank you and RabbitStu very much![/quote]

It does sound like its being ignored. I dont think not doing compass mot would cause this issue.

I also have a similar behavior since 2.9.1. When switching to simple mode the orientation seems to be for a “+” quad, but I set “X” quad… Say it’s 45° off depending on my actual declination setting.
Tomorrow I’ll give it a try with 3.1

It works well with 3.1 now! I did the compass dance again, so maybe that helps. Auto declination should be disabled, bcs that could change orientation a bit each time you fly.