Steering Config Issue on tracked Rover

Working on a 2 tracks Rover that each side uses each own ESC.
Here is my problem:
I need to use the right handstick only to control both throttle and steering. I have mapped the channels to be properly set. I have set GndSteer on Out1 and Throttle on Out3 and pilot steer set to 1 because with 0 o can see the track working only if the appropriate input works.
1)When pushing throttle forward(pitch up) i can see servo out1 going back/reverse and Steering(roll) going right, thus my left track goes reverse and right track goes in forward. (some wierd mixing happens here)
2)When pushing throttle back(pitch down) i can see servo out1 going back/reverse and Steering(roll) going left, thus my left track goes reverse and right track goes in reverse. (correct)
3)When pushing throttle Steering(roll) right, i can see servo out3 going right and Throttle(pitch) going right, thus my left track goes forward and right track goes in forward.
4)When pushing throttle Steering(roll) left, i can see servo out3 going right and Throttle(pitch) going right, thus my left track goes right and right track goes in forward.
I have tested all possible reverse configs for both inputs and outputs but i can get it with both go forward/revesre only with throttle stick and left/right only with steering stick. I always get this mixed behaviour. MRO2.1 on 4.2.1 rover.

Please read and follow the documentation carefully:

https://ardupilot.org/rover/

If you still have questions afterwards, feel free to ask.

I have read the wiki and this is not the first tracked vehicle ive build, but its the first i am getting this behaviour and difficult time solving it. Thats why i was seeking input.

it sounds like you have mixing on your radio. on the radio calibration page, are you still getting strange mixing of the inputs.

1 Like

From your description, you set throttle and steering as output functions. That is wrong for a skid steering vehicle. If one stick direction causes both throttle and steering to move, there is a mixer active in the transmitter. This is wrong for every ardupilot vehicle.
No mixers, no dual rates, no expo in the transmitter and one servo output set to throttle left (73), the other to throttle right (74).

1 Like

@MerkaTony,

I think @count74 has identified the issue. This vehicle sounds like a skid-steering vehicle so the servo outputs should be as Sebastian says.

I think that you probably also want to leave PILOT_STEER_TYPE as 0 (Default) rather than 1 (Two Paddles Input).

There’s often confusion between inputs and outputs so it may also help to use the motor test feature to ensure each motor/wheel is turning correctly.

Nope. Rc cal if fine!

1 Like

It seems i missed it all the times i read my config so @count74 and @rmackay9 you were right.
Compared with a similar previous config i did a couple of years back and my Outs needed to be ML and MR instead of what i had.
Thank you all for helping me see it.

1 Like

@count74 you were right about the reading part. For some reasson though i read everything from the top before starting this build, i confused when reading the skid steer and went in for a traditional setup that was then mixing everything.

Great stuff. good news it’s working.

2 Likes