I’m building and Arduplane based vehicle and it’s time to choose telemetry and RC link. I’m a bit stuck here since there are a lot of variables to take into account. I’m looking for a long range (up to 10-15km) potential. I’ve read a lot of the threads here and I got some favorites. I’m EU based so the main frequencies I’ allowed to use are 868 MHz and 433 MHz (and 2.4GHz, 5.8 GHz). But lets start from the beginning. Right now, the prototype is TBS crossfire based (got a lot of experience with their systems from drone racing) but from what I’ve read here, crossfire isn’t stable, reliable link for my application, especially for telemetry and ground control functionality.
Here are my options (and questions):
- TBS crossfire - mavlink RClink and telemetry, connection to Ground Station via over bluetooth or Wifi - concerns as above - probably buggy, not stable enough, especially GS connection.
- TBS crossfire as RC link + RFD 868X-EU as telemetry for Ground Station - the main concern here is interference between those two systems. Not sure how problematic that might be, but in theory it’s not a good idea.
- Dragonlink RClink + telemetry - heard a lot of good things about this system. Telemetry seems to be very prone to interference though.
- Dragonlink RClink + RFD 868X-EU as telemetry for Ground Station - interference between the systems shouldn’t be as bad as in option 2, what do You think about this setup ?
- RFD 868 TXMOD V2 as RClink and telemetry - this thing looks very good. I can’t see any cons here, but is it reliable ? I’ve heard and read a LOT of good things about RFD 868X-EU as a telemetry system, but never heard anything about using it as RClink What about range ? Any potential problems with RClink using this ? Like lag, stability or any other thing ? Looks like the main advantage here is no interference between link and telemetry.
- TBS crossfire + SiK radio telemetry 433Mhz (Holybro or mRo, since 3DR isn’t available/supported anymore) - this is a cheap option which may work well, and it’s inverse of option 4 in terms of possible interference.
- Herelink for everything - don’t know anything about it’s reliability and cons of this system. Price is the obvious one of course… But If it’s absolutely the best - let me know.
Please share Your opinion, which of this configurations is the most professional, reliable and has the greatest potential. If You know any other, better options, feel free to suggest anything You think is worth considering.