Specifics of Gimbal control outputs from APM board

Hi,

Just trying to understand and reconfigure camera operation from MP’s Optional Hardware=>Camera Gimbal page.

The Tilt, Roll, Pan, and Shutter all have drop-downs with things like “RC6” to “RC11”.
planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/

Does this refer to the general purpose I/O lines along the long side of the APM board, labelled A0-A11?

As I understand it, they can be controlled by APM for things like ROI, and also have configurable input channels from the receiver as well.

So, where it talks about setting up the gimbal’s pitch and roll on an APM 2.5, where “10” is roll, and “11” is pitch, is that the same as the “RC10” and “RC11” settings in the dropdowns in Mission Planner?

Gimbal pitch and roll should be connected to a11 and a10 respectively.
Then the drop down list correspons to the rc input channel from your transmitter, so selecting rc6 for pitch will use channel 6 on your rc transmitter to control pitch.

If you tick ‘stabilise pitch’ then the apm outputs a pwm signal to stabilise a servo based gimbal.
If you don’t tick the box it won’t stabilise it but should pass through the signal to manually control the pitch via the rc transmitter.

I ‘think’ using this method the apm will adjust the pitch of servo and brushless gimbals on follow me modes and roi commands to keep the camera pointing at the right angle. But that could just be wishfuk thinking on my part.

[quote=“MarkM”]Gimbal pitch and roll should be connected to a11 and a10 respectively.
Then the drop down list correspons to the rc input channel from your transmitter, so selecting rc6 for pitch will use channel 6 on your rc transmitter to control pitch.

If you tick ‘stabilise pitch’ then the apm outputs a pwm signal to stabilise a servo based gimbal.
If you don’t tick the box it won’t stabilise it but should pass through the signal to manually control the pitch via the rc transmitter.

I ‘think’ using this method the apm will adjust the pitch of servo and brushless gimbals on follow me modes and roi commands to keep the camera pointing at the right angle. But that could just be wishfuk thinking on my part.[/quote]

Thanks for the response!

My confusion stems from the fact that there are drop-downs on the LEFT of the screen, and drop-downs on the RIGHT, for each of pitch, roll, and yaw (pan) for the gimbal. The ones on the right are labelled “Input Ch”. So what are the ones on the left? You couldn’t have two RC Receiver input channels for the same axis, could you?

So, my question is really, does selecting, say, RC9 on the LEFT drop-down for pitch, say, use APM I/O A9, for example, while selecting RC11 on the left uses APM I/O A11? Are the upper-left boxes for selecting which APM I/O to use? It seems like it, but I haven’t tested this.

Despite the presence of those upper-left drop-downs, does APM hard-wire its APM I/O channels in arducopter for gimbal control, or are they selectable with those drop-downs?

The left drop down should be the A** channel the gimbal is plugged into on the APM (A10, A11 etc), no idea if they are programmable but looking at the wiki there doesn’t look to be a lot of options for changing the channels.
I find it confusing that mission planner has the yaw option but I don’t see a standard A channel for it, only for roll and pitch.

[quote=“MarkM”]The left drop down should be the A** channel the gimbal is plugged into on the APM (A10, A11 etc), no idea if they are programmable but looking at the wiki there doesn’t look to be a lot of options for changing the channels.
I find it confusing that mission planner has the yaw option but I don’t see a standard A channel for it, only for roll and pitch.[/quote]

Yes, that’s another strange thing! The best thing about running a headtracker with brushless gimbals is that it moves (or should) the way one’s head does.

IIRC the dropdowns on the left include a6-a11, but a0-a5 are just I/O ports as well, if not used for A/D. Almost as if the original designer wanted to leave room at the bottom for the main 4 plus flight mode select. Can you url where in the wiki you read about this?

In the APM parameters, there are assignable functions for things labelled rc1 thru rc11. Since the “a**” signals are the only things that go to 11 outside of Spinal Tap, that are also i/o pins on the APM, maybe that’s what they refer to.

Old wiki is - code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Camera
But has been moved/edited to - copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-camera-gimbal/

Can take some effort to find what you’re looking for in it though.

really having no success here. Have a Feiyu G3 gimbal that works great. Just want to connect to Pixhawk to be able to manual control tilt in flight. 9XR radio channel 6 tuning knob set up. Confirmed its talking to mission planner as I can see it move in radio calibration. Connected to aux out 1 in pixhawk. Tried mission planner gimbal set up with RC6, RC9, RC 11 on left drop down. Set RC6 input channel on right side drop down. Tried every single combination and nothing. Gimbal just goes to extreme up position and will not move. Anybody know what I am missing?