SOLVED - Newbie looking to un-brick a pair of 3DR 915MHz radios - assistance wanted

Nice! I’ll be watching that with interest. More range for free is always better, right?

And the configuration options… Wow. Loads of choices, including dropping to 50Hz for super-long-range. Nice!

Yes, it looks good. But once you flash the Transmitter module you will have to flash all of the receivers you have which can be a big pain. I have a bunch. Or buy a new Transmitter module and have 2 systems. The other thing is I use Yaapu telemetry on all my models. It’s great and I would want to make sure it will still work.

So I’m waiting for it to mature.

I see. Well, I could always experiment with it. On that kind of budget, what’s a few hundred quid for an experiment?

Considering I’ve got no cell coverage, how would I go about getting a reasonable latency 1080p 30fps video feed from that far away? Is it even possible? Power is no issue, I’ll have gas engines at either end to provide the juice.

My ultimate goal is to sit on the dock in the sun and explore the far reaches and depths of the lake from there, but that means I’ve got to be able to see.

I’ve already determined that I’ll have to tether the sub to the boat just to get video up from any usable depth, but I can’t exactly use a 20mi optical HDMI cable, now can I?

Video is another thing altogether. Describe again what all you want to do, I think I’m missing something.

So:

• Bidirectional telemetry (20mi range, 10mi including going thru/around a mountain). Further (possibly) with a thermal glider-based relay station or something up on the mountain.
  • RC reciever control (TX to model only) (same as above)
  • 1080p 30FPS video (RX from model only) (same as above, but would probably need the relay station at a much lower range).

TX power is not a concern to me (gas engines for power and there’s nobody around who cares about interference), and I can use actively oriented directional antennas with AntennaTracker with no real issues, as I’ll be surface-based at both ends, and maybe in the middle too.

Sorry that we’ve far exceeded the scope of my original question, I just get excited when I find someone who knows what they’re doing in a field that I need info in. I love to plan.

You may indeed want to start a new thread. Sometimes what happens here is posters will see the problem solved and may not contribute more. Your plan is ambitious and the more the merrier I think. But happy to share what I know.

So, you mention a sub, a boat and a relay craft also. I’m still not seeing the big picture :slight_smile:

Yeah, you’re right. I’ll start a new thread and fill in the details better there. Maybe even a crude sketch or two. Thanks again for your help! Where do you think the new thread belongs? Just general RC, because it involves boats, subs, planes, and ground stations/vehicles?

Good question. Yes, I suppose General as it will cover hardware, ArduRover and ArduPlane. Boats are pretty well covered in Rover, Sub is almost a category all it’s own.
https://www.ardusub.com/

Wow. I didn’t realize sub had its own site. I thought it was just a settable config for the rover code. That’s rather different.

I’ll put it under General then. Thanks!

Blue Robotics, they make Thrusters, runs a Forum for Sub. Start getting familiar with QGroundControl as an alternative Ground Station.

It was going to be my GCS for a while because I’m a MacOS user. I only got MP yesterday on my Windows Laptop that was a Christmas gift to myself. I should do alright there.

I friendly bit of advise for your new thread. You may encounter replies about the legality of this or that which in this forum I find extremely annoying. When I have encountered it I simply reply with something like “technical discussion only” and ignore it rather than get into a dialog about it. How you use the technology is your business. At least that’s how I see it.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll keep that in mind. Your way of dealing with it seems like the best option.