SOLVED - Newbie looking to un-brick a pair of 3DR 915MHz radios - assistance wanted

Yay! So it’ll work basically no matter what version my ground radio is running, because I know it’s not 2.0 (that didn’t work before). Perfect!

Still verifying on that 1.9 install. How long does it normally take?

YES! I have contact to my air radio running V1.9. Perfect! Thank you so much!

1 Like

If I now want to take them both to 2.0, what do I do? Just tell MP to update them, and it’ll do it properly?

You can’t update the air radio over the air.

Oh. I’ll stick with 1.9 for now then, until I get to making an FTDI Arduino. What would 2.0 get me that 1.9 doesn’t have?

I think nothing with the standard radios like you have. The RFD900 takes advantage of what it offers.

Perfect. I may just leave these on 1.9 permanently then, because I’m already considering an equipment upgrade to something with better range, and that will render these obsolete for anything but a little quad or something. Any recommendations on long-range radios that have worked well for you?

I have just rely on the telemetry range that Frsky R9 offers on most craft.

Nice. Because I was an idiot and only price-shopped on Amazon, I paid almost as much for my dinky little set of radios as a nice R9 set from aloft. Ouch. I’ll probably go with an R9 myself once my wallet recovers from my latest round of gear upgrades. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yea, I have R9 on almost all craft now (Multirotors, Planes, Rover) and it works well. RC Control is 10’s of km and telemetry is several kilometers. Or greater depending on the situation.

Even that kind of range on the ground! Wow! I will definitely be getting a set then.

Only line-of-sight though probably, it’s less with obstacles for sure.

Well, no not on the ground. The rover is mostly line of site but I have drove it ~3km out w/o obstruction.

That’s still pretty darn good. I did a ground-only walking test with my radios earlier today (because my craft is not done yet) and I only got about 400m before I lost connection.

It’ll be better in the air (hopefully), but that’s not a lot for some of the stuff I want to do with my creations.

I’ve got a large (10ft long) boat planned that I want to be able to talk to at 20+ miles with a mountain in the way, so I’ve got a lot of work to do. It’ll be an engine-operated base for another RC submarine that may want to go long-distance to the other side of the lake.

I think you will want to use an LTE system for that.

I would love to, but it’s in a remote area, and there’s no cell coverage there whatsoever. The nearest tower is about 40mi away thru the mountains.

OK, LTE’s not working :slight_smile: RFD900 could be an option. A pricey one though.

Yeah, I’m already looking at possibly up to 10 grand all-in though, so it wouldn’t make too make of a dent in the budget. This is a long-term project for when I’m no longer a college student, and therefore no longer broke. :slight_smile:

Got it. Back to the Frsky R9 stuff, there is a cool project called ExpressLRS that is getting some impressive range using the Frsky R9 hardware (and some others). Full telemetry seems to be a revision or 2 away but it’s looking good.