Solar GPS interference

There is currently a very high KP index has anyone had any Issues using GPS navigation? I have heard for years that it can effect GPS navigation, but I have never actually known anyone to have any Issues.

To be honest I’ve always avoided flying when I was aware of ongoing solar storms. Might be a good opportunity to do some outside bench testing.

From what I’ve read this could be the strongest geomagnetic storm since 2003? So I’d expect some degradation.

I went and done some quick testing, my quads got a fix, felt a little slow to get a fix but nothing unusual.

In practice, I’ve never really seen a practical impact from these events, though I admit that’s mostly based on perception rather than scientific observation.

At a minimum, my fixed base is running strong and shows good signal reception across the board - no different than usual. But I have not tried any precision autonomy since the Kp values skyrocketed.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed much with GPS either. The Ham radio on the other hand has been greatly influenced.
And we have northern lights in SE michigan. Rare that.

1 Like

I did see some funky GPS numbers a week ago. Today /yesterday was fine.

we have northern lights in Humboldt Ca.

It looks like there was a little more low GPS interference at northern latitudes.

some farmers have been having issues with RTK fix

1 Like

I’m at 45 deg North in Quebec (we had Northern Lights Friday/Saturday), and my colleague flew multiple times during Friday and Saturday, without being aware about solar storms. When I asked, he said that the drone behaved normally in Loiter. Maybe took a little longer to get a fix and maybe a slightly lower number of satellites than usual. But nothing out of the ordinary.

1 Like

From what I have been reading, interference is probably very localised and short-lived, once the satellites reposition enough the signals come back.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I also want to know regarding it. I appreciate it.