Soaring/Gliding for Planes

thanks samuel

I can’t locate var log item in the log file (download through usb) ?

Adolfo

Hi Adolfo,

Do you see the SOAR item? What board are you using?

Hi
I don’t see the SOAR item
I am using a pixracer R15 with arduplane 4.0.5

Have you set SOAR_ENABLE to 1, and if you’re using an RC channel to activate soaring, is it in the high position?

no i forgot
I need to go back to square one and read all available doc
thanks again

You might want to start reading with the Soaring documentation.

Hi folks,

Just a heads up that there is now a dedicated THERMAL flight mode in ArduPlane. This replaces the role of LOITER when soaring. For now it behaves the exact same way but will make flight simpler for the pilot and for development of new features.

Anybody keen to try this right away can do so by loading the “latest” firmware. However, the GCS applications will show the new flight mode as “Unknown”, “Mode (24)” or similar until a new GCS version is released.

1 Like

I try it on the sim, at the moment no issues, in flight tomorrow.
Ask Michael to enter it in the Planner, thanks mate!

Hi Marco,

The metadata is fixed, so in Mission Planner you should be able to get the new mode displayed by Setup > Advanced menu and click Param Gen.

1 Like

My plane take a few seconds to stabilize after a bank angle change. When the glider banks into a turn, nose goes down, so Vertical Speed readings are low for the first few seconds.

I hope I’m not stating the obvious here, but this is not very good soaring technique. You want to conserve altitude, and the nose should not be going down unless you actually intend to descend.

The reason the nose goes down in a bank has to do with the “vertical component of lift”, which decreases as the angle of bank increases. In a constant-speed turn, up elevator is applied to keep the nose up.

There are formulas. Aileron and elevator could be coupled mathematically in order to compensate for the change in vertical lift.

Just getting started here so excuse me if this is already being done.

Here’s another noob request.

Could someone please to recommend an inexpensive (as in cheap) flight controller that I could use to test basic board communications?

I have apparently managed to build ArduPlane successfully using STM32CubeIDE. (The instructions for setting up a development environment on a Mac sort of left me cold.)

I would like to test this build, since it is to some extent a bit “off the reservation”.

I am on an older Mac, so I will be using APM Planner 2.0. (I could use QGroundControl, but it would have to be the latest 3.6 version due to issues with Qt versions.)

If the board could eventually be used for flight stabilization in a simple glider so much the better. I’d like to test GPS and would prefer to buy something that could eventually be used in a more sophisticated aircraft.

The ST software features an integrated IDE based on Eclipse. It appears that it would simplify development for Mac users. If it works out I’ll write it up.

Hi Tom

I hope I’m not too late with my info :o)
I started with FCs after reading the quick-start guide of Reinhard here: https://www.arduplane.de/faq/index.php?action=attachment&id=1
I know it’s just in German, but it’s written in a clear speach and a translation should work.
Every step is explained very well and Reinhard tried not to explain what is possible, but what is necessary.

That’s the easiest and cheapest way to start and also was my first contact to FCs and ArduPilot.

@Samuel_Tabor Hey! We’re working on a project to add some extra features with companion computers on top of ardusoar right now. I was going to throw the microsofts Frigatebird’s project (https://github.com/microsoft/Frigatebird) onto a cube black to see what would work best for us, have you guys integrated their research onto arduplane or is it still its own project?

Hey @ohitstarik sounds pretty cool, is that a commercial project or your own research? The Frigatebird project is based on top of Arduplane and added a different thermal centering algorithm. It’s not merged so is based on quite an old version now. I am planning on incorporating some of the ideas into future releases.

1 Like

I would like to try the latest .DEV master firmware but I doubt whether to download it from Mission Planner (Ctrl + Q) or from this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OPImmQVztnCnXVY_3NwSF1eXV9tZss_b

Hi Aticof,

Currently it’s better to get it through Mission Planner.

Sam

OK, then SOAR_POLAR_LEARN is mising?

Correct, that feature isn’t merged yet. If you need that feature I can do a new set of builds including that and upload to the google drive - let me know.

Why has it been decided to eliminate this parameter? Are the default values valid for most gliders?

I would like to test it on Matek F405 wing and Omnibus F4pro.

Thanks

It’s not eliminated, it’s just that the feature it isn’t ready to merge yet, it needs more testing. It learns the values of the SOAR_POLAR_* parameters, which are specific to the glider aerodynamics. The parameter can be estimated manually though, given good test data.