SmartAudio - wrong frequency - only one power level

Firmware: latest DEV version

Band / channel selection set in the VTX* parameters is not taken over correctly. Band 3 (Airwave) and channel 3 should result in 5800 MHz. This is also displayed in the parameters after a reboot, but 5.865 MHz is activated …

For the sake of clarity, it would be better to count from 1-x here instead of from 0-x. This only confuses. Actually I want to select band 4 / channel 4 (Airwave/Fatshark, channel 4).

Supposedly you should enter either band / channel or the frequency. But the frequency field is read only, so it can’t be written.

The power should be switchable from 0 (Pitmode) to Max. With a 3-way switch this would be 0 / 400 / Max with a TBS Pro32 HV. Unfortunately only 25 mW is switched, VTX_Options = 8 makes no difference, the VTX was manually unlocked.

I have a fix pending for the 3-pos switch issue.

In your channel scenario when you say 5865 is activated do you mean that it says its 5800 but when you actually try and tune you get 5865? Or does it show 5865?

I set VTX_BAND and VTX_CHANNEL each to 3 and in the parameters then 5800 MHz appears as in the screenshot.

However, the video is then sent on 5865 MHz …

Ok thanks, what VTX is is this?

That’s what the post says …

By the way, I tested both with 3-Pos Switch and with 6-Pos Switch (TX16S). Do I understand correctly that SmartAudio can only switch a maximum of 4 power levels? A 4-Pos Switch can be easily simulated with OpenTX, but what values do you need for a power level?

We read both 6pos and 3pos as 6pos and interpolate levels based on the setting of VTX_MAX_POWER

I can’t reproduce this - if I set both to 3 I get 5800 and if I reboot the VTX I get 4 flashes for band and channel. So unless the TBS docs are incorrect somehow this is working for me. This is on a Unify Pro32 HV

Didn’t you write about a bug in the switch query? Is the change already in the master?

The VTX was probably defective … I have now replaced it with a new Unify Pro32 HV and the configured frequency is correct.

But the 6-Pos switch did not work yet. Therefore still the latest Latest flashed. Now I can switch the power.

However, I still have to find a way, probably with a curve, to switch the following values:

-60 = 0 mW
-40 = 25 mW
-20 = 100 mW
40 = 400 mW
60 = 1000 mW

At 0 and 20 nothing happens, insofar the 6-Pos does not work correctly, because it has an even gradation of -100 -60 -20 20 60 100, but the VTX reacts only to the above mentioned values.

The 6pos change is in master as of last night. Have you set VTX_MAX_POWER to 1000?

Can you try on a pot to check that you do in fact cycle through the required power levels? As you say it may just be a TX setup issue.

Yes, VTX_MAX_POWER is set to 1000.

Latest DEV is installed.

There is also the described dead zone with a pot. Is probably a problem of the VTX. Maybe we will also find out … I have on my TBS Unify Pro32 HV the firmware 1.15. Is it the same for you?

Is your 6pos switch setup as per the ardupilot docs for flight mode? Its the same code used.

I would have to look it up, do you have a link to it?

Flightmodes I normally always switch with 2x 3-Pos Switches, not with a 6-Pos.

Edit: already found. But that is not the problem. With OpenTX I also know myself, there are already the right values arrive. Only there is just a dead range as described also verified by pot.

This should be the same with you, but you have not answered my question about the firmware version of your VTX. Presumably the difference is here.

I have 1.15 I think but I think the dead range is a function of the different transmitter types. I have an EU transmitter that only goes up to 800mw. So the code is optimized for my power range. To solve this properly would require recording which power levels were valid (either through the SA 2.1 message or through seeing what works) and adjusting the range appropriately. I plan to do this at some point but likely not for 4.1.

In am also in the EU, but there is no technical difference with the Unify Pro 32 HV. They all go up to 1000+ mW (I use 5 pcs myself). Which could possibly be that older ones only go up to 800 mW.

My solution is now to look per pot, when which power levels are switched at the respective VTX with SmartAudio and these positions I then control via a curve. This works perfectly without disturbing dead zone.

Don’t know if it’s anything that’ll help you, but I’m running 4.10-dev with a TBS Pro32 HV, and it works pretty good.
I’m using VTX_OPTIONS=2 (iirc) to start in pit-mode and switch to 1000mW when armed, which works really well.

Only thing that got me a bit confused is that the VTX seems to have to be powered on (in my case, USB power only isn’t enough) to change frequency. I just assumed that the frequency would be set on each boot, but it doesn’t seem to be.