SmartAudio not working correctly any longer

25mW is working but now the pitmode is not set when S2 knob is at lowest output. I did set VTX_OPTIONS to 1 manually and pitmode turned on but after a full cycle VTX_OPTIONS was automatically set to 0 again.
There are no special log outputs as you will notice.
Log6.txt (1.2 KB)

Can you try this version?

What I tried is:

VTX_OPTIONS set to 0

• pitmode disappears 25 mW lights upp (if VTX_POWER was 25). A complete recycle sets VTX_OPTIONS back to 1. Arming in pitmode if S2 is at bottom, at selected power level otherwise. Disarming goes back to prearm state, i e pitmode if armed in pitmode and set powerlevel otherwise

VTX_OPTION set to 1

• switches on pitmode, arms in pitmode if s2 low, at selected power level otherwise. Disarming goes back to prearm state, i e pitmode if armed in pitmode and set powerlevel otherwise

VTX_OPTION set to 2

• pitmode or actual powerlevel as previously set A complete cycle restores pitmode. Arms at 25mW if S2 low. Disarming goes back to prearm state, i e pitmode if armed in pitmode and set powerlevel otherwise

Alternatives are so many but hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I have two questions:

• VTX in pitmode arms at the very low powerlevel, is this as expected or should level from VTX_POWER automatically be choosen to avoid any startup surprises. Not a big problem if the user knows.
  • Disarming does not return power to pitmode even if this is set, the power switch has to be moved for that. No problem if the user knows though.

If something does not make sense please contact me.
Log7.txt (5.8 KB)

VTX_OPTION is set to 1 automatically when pitmode is engaged, so when you turn the RC knob you should see this go from 0 to 1 and vice versa. Does this mean that it now works roughly how it did in 4.0 for you or is there still a problem?

Yes, it is about the same. One change is that earlier when arming with knob low the power level changed automatically from pitmode to 25mW (or whatever VTX_POWER had stored, presumably) now it stays at pitmode until knob is turned.
I am not 100% sure if that was only for options = 2 which is what i did use mostly.

I think that current functionality is perfectly OK as long as it is known for the user.

Many thanks for your help. It is essential that 25mW is working because that is the maximum allowed here (without a HAM radio cert)

Please can you raise an issue for the arming issues? It’s a different problem, but I would like to make sure that this works as people expected.

It is hard to tell what is best. I can think of at least two scenarios:

• Pilot arms and takes off with knob low and quickly looses vtx contact because pitmode remains on. An auto power change after arming will solve the problem but it is also easy turning the power knob even if this introduces a risk…

• Pilot wants that power remains in pitmode because the vtx is not currently used and battery juice must be saved. An auto change of power at arming may not be desired.

If I could permanently dismiss pitmode by setting VTX_OPTIONS to 0 then a power change at arming for VTX_OPTIONS > 0 would be my preference. With current functionality that pitmode is always set at knob turned to low I think it is better to keep it as is. (reason being the power save argument above).

As I am not a very professional pilot and quite often do not use googles I do not know what a majority would choose. If you think an auto power step-up from pitmode at arming is an essential safety feature I will of course raise an issue.

Can I use the firmware you sent for flying or should I install standard 4.3.3? It is no problem going back because the 25 mW can always be set using the VTX_ parameters.

It’s fine to use that firmware.

I think this is a conflict between VTX control on a knob and auto power on arming. It would probably be possible to have an option which means the knob is only active on arm, or maybe active on arm with pitmode excluded, or maybe pitmode should simply be excluded if the copter is armed. I quite like the last one - what do you think?

I like your last option, it is cleaner and easy to understand and will work fine.

With this solution power consumption will not go below transmitter min power but anyone wanting to go lower can cut the power when video is not used.

In previous post I made a logical error but with your answer about the conflict between knob control and arming there is no sense to take up your time with a correction.

I have used the modified firmware you made but now upgraded to 4.3.6 and noticed that the changes are not yet available. Is there any info regarding when it will be included?
Many thanks for your support.
Mats

It will be in 4.4 which is now in beta

Thanks, I have tested 4.4 beta 1 and it works

1 Like