Skyhunter VTOL failing to transition, please help troubleshoot

Hello Everyone,

I’m using a Skyhunter that I’ve converted into a quadplane, it has 4 VTOL motors and a 5th motor as a pusher. I’ve successfully flown the plane and transitioned from QStabilize to FBWA modes without issues.

My issue is that the plane won’t transition when in an auto mission. From what I understand in the documentation, I should be able to specify a simple mission where I start with a VTOL takeoff with a target height and mission waypoints with their own altitude setting as well as a VTOL Land command.

What I observed is that the plane would begin transition, but the pusher motor would never quite get up to full speed and so the plane would not transition. In my test, this happened at least twice, and then I switched modes from AUTO to FBWA and gave full throttle and the plane transitioned without any problems. Halfway through the flight, I put it back to AUTO and the VTOL motors engaged again and the plane slowed down, so I again switched to FBWA, again transitioned without any problems and ended up flying a few laps, to then come back to the landing area, switched to QStabilize and landed the plane without any issues.

I’d like some input about whether I have created the mission incorrectly or have an incorrect parameter please.

I’m attaching a link to my bin file from the flight, a parameter file and the mission file, in both QgroundControl and Mission planner formats as downloaded from the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jorge, aka FlyingSandal

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dRXT0XI3daMD1XIpAiYAkPCKhCa31FBg?usp=sharing

In AUTO, the vehicle is behaving like it has been commanded to go slowly.

Because it was: Q_WP_SPEED is 5 m/s, which is below Q_ASSIST_SPEED of 8.5 m/s.

This explains why it was trying to maintain a slow flight speed between waypoints.

Increase Q_ASSIST_SPEED to your desired cruise speed between waypoints, and try the mission again.- ted

1 Like

Thank you @tedm , I will give this a try and report back!