Skid steering motor from manual to auto

Hi,
so I have a boat with two thrusters in fixed position. The boat works fine in manual but in order to work in auto mode I have to manually switch servo outputs from RCIN to Throttle-left/right each time I want to switch.
This is problematic for many reasons, primarily because if I switch to something incorrectly by mistake (ie, I switch the servo output from Throttle left to Winch), the thruster immediately goes haywire, goes to maximum revs, and I risk losing the boat.
I’m trying to find a way to set it up so I dont have to switch servo outputs each time I want the boat to go on auto mode.

Seems you’ve discovered a new way to make a common mistake. Let’s try and get it straightened out for you.

You should set your outputs to ThrottleLeft and ThrottleRight and leave them alone. Those outputs also work in manual mode if your system is configured correctly.

It seems that you intend to control using “two paddles” type input (information here), so set PILOT_STEER_TYPE=1.

Next, make sure that you have RC channels 1 and 3 mapped correctly. Typically, the transmitter is already set up to output stick response on channels 1-4. So long as that is the case, you can alter the following parameters to map your transmitter layout:
RCMAP_ROLL
RCMAP_PITCH
RCMAP_THROTTLE
RCMAP_YAW

For two paddles control and a typical transmitter layout, you’d want:
RCMAP_ROLL,2
RCMAP_PITCH,3
RCMAP_THROTTLE,1
RCMAP_YAW,4

Because you’re having these issues, it’s safe to assume you may not have followed all of the steps outlined in the documentation. Please have a read through the section starting here:
First Drive with Rover — Rover documentation (ardupilot.org)

Hi,
thanks for the immediate reply.
I changed them to throttle left/right, switched the pilot steer type, and switched the RC mappings, and no dice when it comes to manual control.
I should point out that I did not set up the boat, so I am not sure what exactly was done. We’re a team, and this part was handled by another person who is no longer available to communicate with.
It strikes me as very odd to have these issues, and I think that something has gone wrong during set up, which results to this band-aid fix being required.
Should I consider setting it up again?

You need to arm the autopilot to enable throttle output (in any mode).

Not sure what you mean by either of those.
the vehicle is armed. I cant find a throttle output to enable.

I mean that the vehicle must be armed or it won’t move, even in manual mode.

Are you sure it’s in manual mode?

What happens if you switch to acro or steering mode and move the RC sticks?

the vehicle is armed.
It wasnt in manual mode, it was on hold(oops). switched to manual, but now only one thruster moves.
Switching to acro or steering produces the same result, I suspect its to do with shitty joystick mappings and/or RC channels?

That is correct. A little trial and error should sort that out for you (might help to display the radio calibration page to see what channel does what).

It’s also possible to control with throttle (speed) on one channel and steering on another, which (in my opinion) is a better user experience.

If you prefer that option, set PILOT_STEER_TYPE=0 and continue to troubleshoot the RCMAP parameters to find the transmitter channels that result in the behavior you want to see.

will try to sort out the channels.
Thanks a lot for the immediate and helpful directions!