SIYI A8 mini 4K AI Mini Zoom Gimbal Camera - AI Identify & Tracking, 4K 1/1.7-inch 8MP Sony Sensor, 6X Zoom

I think that the 4K footage can only be shared by SD card

First customer video shows how A8 mini performs in flight, super stable!

1 Like

DHL delivered my A8 mini yesterday, Iā€™m told itā€™s one of the first ones sent out, hopefully itā€™s more bug free than most of SIYIā€™s inital hardware releases.

Some photos:

Camera and Gimbal look/feel good. Hard to explain but I can apply an decent amount torque the joints out of plane and they feel solid.

Cables are long, better than short.

Was not expecting a GH1.25 to RJ45 ethernet adapter to be included, good stuff.

Iā€™ll see how it works with my MK15(s) and HM30, itā€™s going on my Y4 copter and it looks like a great fit.

3 Likes

Great post! Rob!
Special thanks to you for using SIYI products many years. It is such kind of confidence that drives us to innovate and keep improving quality.
Wish you a great experience with A8 mini and we cannot wait for your further feedback.

1 Like

A8 mini user manual is ready for downloading.

I received the a8mini product.
I installed the product as described above, but it seem to the connection is not successful with ardupilot.
No information about siyi gimbal from FC(gimbal versionā€¦ etcā€¦)

ardupilot firmware 4.3.1-rc1
serial4_protocol 8
serial4_baud 115
mnt1_type 8

and tried to change serial port, swap rx/txā€¦

Has anyone had a successful connection? Anything Iā€™m missing?

In SIYI fpv app, video and gimbal operation work well.

@rmackay9 Will appreciate if you can have a look on this post

I think you need to check the Gimbal firmware version too to compatable with ardupilot @steampunk .

What Is the gcs showed in the Siyi hand-held transmitterā€¦is that QGCS?

Thank you for your interest in the question.
The gimbal version of a8mini is 0.1.7.
At the end of the wiki, it is required 0.2.1 or higher at ZR10. Can someone please confirm?
@SIYI

ps. It is custom based on qgc. Just for coding practice as a hobby

1 Like

Hi @steampunk

I also connected by A8 to AP yesterday and discovered this problem. Iā€™m not sure what the issue is yet but Iā€™m actively looking at it so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have it figured out soon.

EDIT: we have a fix now so if you tell me which board youā€™re using Iā€™ll produce a test firmware for you to try.

The issue was just that the AP driver expected the gimbal to provide 3 firmware versions (gimbal, camera and zoom) but the A8 doesnā€™t have a zoom (at least not an optical zoom) so it only provides 2 version numbers. I think this fix will go out with 4.3.2 within a few weeks (sorry for the delay but we need to go through beta testing for all releases).

Iā€™ll update the wiki as well to clarify the required firmware version for the A8 (the firmware numbering is different between the Z10 and A8).

1 Like

This is very welcome news.
Iā€™m using Cube Orange.
I will let you know the result.

@steampunk,

Here is a Copter binary for a CubeOrange-4.3.1 with the Siyi A8 fix applied. Please tell me if youā€™re not using Copter and Iā€™ll create another binary.

It works well!

5 Likes

@steampunk,

Great stuff! thanks very much for testing.

By the way, if you look closely at the image youā€™ve posted above youā€™ll see the firmware version is being reported incorrectly. It says, ā€œMount Siyi fw 1.0.115ā€ but it should say ā€œMount Siyi fw 0.1.7ā€. This is innocuous but Iā€™ve got a fix for it coming as well that will be included in the final release.

3 Likes

What about digital 6x zoom control can do with serial or rc channelā€¦

I have CUAV v5 Nano to get the fixed firmware for A8mini.

@kalai1219,

I have not tested the zoom control with the A8 yet but I think it should work. If the ArduPilot driver is used then an RC auxiliary function can be setup to zoom in or out. Search for ā€œCamera Zoomā€ on this page.

By the way, MP also has a new Aux Function tab that can also be used to control these auxiliary functions.

2 Likes

Thank you Randy,im awaiting delivery of my A8 so this is awesome for me,you and your family have a great Xmas

2 Likes

Hi,

Can it be used as a UVC(USB CAMERA) via ISB Type-C?

The camera does not output video streams nor can be controlled from Type-C USB.

@rmackay9
I use the MATEK F405wing Hardware connect with the siyiA8 mini via SERIAL3 or SERIAL1, I have already config the parameters follow the documents. When using the Arduplane-v4.4.0ļ¼Œthe port ask for the firmware version persistently, siyi a8 has replied the versionļ¼Œbut ardupilot does not have any response, still ask only. So v4.4.0 has failed to connect siyiA8.
When I use the arduplane v3.4.1(show in the documents) or the ardupilot v3.4.2beta , the ardupilot do not send any data out to the serial( use the ch340 serial to usb device to debug it) (already config the parameter).So the ardupilot v3.4.1 and v3.4.2beta has connected the siyi A8 failed.
The messages window in mission planner cannot see anything about the mount.
Why And how to solve it?
(The A8 gimbal firmware version is 0.1.7)