SIYI A8 mini 4K AI Mini Zoom Gimbal Camera - AI Identify & Tracking, 4K 1/1.7-inch 8MP Sony Sensor, 6X Zoom

HDMI has my vote, thank you…

1 Like

The HDMI output is fixed to 1080p 30fps

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I’m talking about HDMI output. If I connect it directly to a monitor, the monitor states it is receiving an input of 1080P 60Hz. If I connect it to a different monitor, the input seems to be 1080P 30Hz. I’m not sure if this is an issue with the monitor or compatibility with the a8.

Is there an update on when 1080p via Ethernet will be available?

Ethernet output 1080p will be ready in the next update

2 Likes

I did a mission containing an ROI (A8 Mini on a Solo Copter 4.3.5) and it attempts to track the ROI with the gimbal yaw rather than yawing the copter. Is there a parameter to change that?

Example: SIYI A8 Mini ROI Mission Testing 1 - YouTube

@jbb2068,

Yes, if you set MNTx_YAW_MIN/MAX to 0 then it will treat the gimbal like a 2-D gimbal (I think) and will point the vehicle instead of the gimbal.

2 Likes

Ah! I’ll try that. Thank you!

That video looks pretty great for being in SD! Thanks for this, its nice seeing some more footage from users.

Some questions if you don’t mind:

1. Are you using the A8 as primary camera?

2. What camera mode are you in?

3. Seeing your landing gear, it seems the gimbal is doing a good job at stabilizing. Does the A8 record any gyro data for further stabilization in say Gyroflow?

4. Are you controlling gimbal from TX or MP?

Cheers!

Hi @droniedarko,

1. yes, the A8 is the only camera on this vehicle
  2. I’m not sure what mode the camera is in. I know the AP side well but I haven’t spent much time on configuring the A8 itself
  3. We’re not recording any angle or rate data from the gimbal to the AP logs. This is on the to-do list though.
  4. In the video linked above, the gimbal’s pitch is controlled from the Herlink’s tuning knob. Control from the GCS works fine though. AP also supports pointing a gimbal at another vehicle (similar to follow-me) but it’s awkward to enable but making it easier to use is also on the to-do list.

Hey @rmackay9,

Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate the details as I’m hoping to use the A8 with my TX16S, and from what I can tell this will be fine. The QGC controls would be great but it sounds like they aren’t supporting Linux so I will likely stick with RC control.

I’m happy to hear about the angle and rate data, it looks really stable but would be extra nice if it would provide data for Gyroflow, though I suppose this would be more of a feature for SIYI to implement when recording.

I am really hoping to get one soon so I can do my own testing and contribute my data.

Cheers!

Bryan

1 Like

Hello Randy! I set the yaw min and max to zero and it did point the copter toward the ROI, BUT then the gimbal attempted to follow the path of the mission. Watching the live camera view was confusing at first until I looked up and saw what was happening haha. Should I change WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR? It is set to 3 now.

@rmackay9 Hey man, are there any other parameters you’d recommend I try to fix this yaw thing with ROI missions?

So far during an ROI mission:

1. With MNTx_YAW_MIN/MAX to -80/80 the gimbal will yaw facing the ROI while the copter faces the next waypoint.

2. With MNTx_YAW_MIN/MAX to 0 the copter will yaw facing the ROI while the gimbal faces the next waypoint.

3. With WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR set to 0, and MNTx_YAW_MIN/MAX to 0, it yaws to the ROI initially but from there neither the copter nor the gimbal follows the ROI.

Still trying other settings…

This is an excellent illustration of the issue, and it is not difficult to explain why it occurs. The A8 sends an EID (or a configuration message when it is hotplugged) to inform the display via HDMI to expect a 1080p 30fps signal. However, the camera only sends image data for a 720p stream, resulting in a 720p image being displayed in a 1080p pixel mode, with the pixel matrix starting from the top left. This indicates that the signal from the siyi camera is not configured correctly. Alternatively, the encoder may be encoding a 720p image into a 1080p stream. I was able to confirm this using one of my monitors, as shown in the following image:
siyi-test

edit:
We’re currently evaluating and optimizing the ethernet connection to add better SIYI support in upcomping OpenHD releases, most likely that will remove the hdmi-requirement.

2 Likes

How’s A8 mini and MK15 working together on a Rover?

1 Like

@rmackay9

Arducopter Running 4.3.6 on Cuav v5+ with A8 mini Camera connected via serial2 port and configured every thing as below:
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-siyi-zr10-gimbal.html

Camera Firmware version is :0.1.8
Gimbal Firmware version is : 0.2.2
mk15 Handheld gimbal used for control the gimbal. Gimbal Pitch and Gimbal YAW worked as expected and as per configure in the flight controller.
But zoom and recording is not responding for the assigned channels from Rc switches, where as via SIYI FPV APP everything working perfectly.
here is the camera setting i have configured

here is the video link attached which shows all issues:A8 mini camera zoom and record not working via serial - Google Drive

when trying to record from SIYI FPV app mission planner message tap show siyi:recoding ON and siyi OFF and after record stoped from FPV app again record started its own again without any user input (refer the attached video)

NOTE: A8 mini automatically start record after power ON. how to avoid this?

Hi @kalai1219,

Zoom not working is normally because the camera is setup as 4K. If you can include an onboard log from the autopilot I can look at it further.

I don’t think it is a good idea to try and use both the Siyi App and ArduPilot to control the camera at the same time. I can imagine timing issues could occur.

Its is not set-up as 4K and its setup as only 720 refer the attached image.
And every thing is working normally if i control through Sbus including zoom and record properly.

Flight controller is connected via USB cable to PC and its not way connect via mk15 ground unit.

Mission planner is not doing any control here and its only purpose for to show that every thing configured correctly thats it .

Pretty sure you want to turn off the boot record function at the top of that picture you posted. that looks like it will shut off the auto record function on boot up.

1 Like

Oh i forgot to update that i have already solved that boot record issue by auto recording turn off.

Thanks for your response here.