SITL setup --- Setting up SITL using Vagrant

I am following SITL WiKi

step-4: ‘vagrant up’ gave me following error…first_error.txt (1.1 KB)

I then edited /ardupilot/Vagrantfile and changed (config.vm.box = “ubuntu/yakkety32”) to (config.vm.box = “ubuntu/trusty64”)…reason: Vagrantfile is working OK for git cloned ‘ardupilot_wiki’.

Now ‘vagrant up’ output is more meaningful but that too end up with some error, see this log vagrant_up_error.txt (23.8 KB)

Although I tried to ignore above error and went to step-5, … vagrant ssh and then error while doing git.?

can anyone suggest if wiki steps are ok and updated … please help.

Hello friends: i continued troubleshooting and tried in different laptop and facing the same error. ‘vagrant up’ is throwing same error i.e. “The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found”. here are the logs … vagrant_up_error_1.txt (7.3 KB)

Pls. help.

Try going for zesty32 instead.

zesty32 is working well for me

I am hesitant to move it forward from yakkety in master, however, as I know zesty has trouble flashing PixHawks. It is possible someone is using yakkety for that.

Note that the original problem here appears to be random moving of images around out on the internet. Yay cloud! Moving to zesty just works around this problem.

1 Like

Thanks Peter: this zeskty32 works but now I am facing below error while following step-5.

ubuntu@ubuntu-zesty:~$ git submodule update --init --recursive
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Please check complete logs here, error_git.txt (6.9 KB)

Pls. help.

Thanks Peter: this zeskty32 works but now I am facing below error while
following step-5.

ubuntu@ubuntu-zesty:~$ git submodule update --init --recursive
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

You need to change directories to where the ardupilot repository is -
probably “cd /vagrant”

Hello Peter: I was unable to do “cd /vagrant” after “vagrant ssh”. I removed/deleted “aurdupilot_default_xxx” running instance from VM VirtualBox Manager and then retry “vagrant up”… NOW, this is running since last 24 hrs (slowly) and currently at below output …

==> default: Preparing to unpack …/096-javascript-common_11_all.deb …

Pls. help as this is an abnormal delay for ‘vagrant up’. Do u have similar log saved where u can check above line and estimate how much time left?. is it worth waiting for this installation to finish?.

Hello Peter and All: I am still struggling on this issue. ‘vagrant up’ crashed and the laptop was totally un-responsive / jammed. I managed to take below snapshot which may help to guess what went wrong. Aftef rebooting the laptop , i found this log file under arducopter root directory.ubuntu-zesty-17.04-cloudimg-console.log (55.9 KB) . I would really appreciate your help to fix this.

snapshot before rebooting laptop.

Hello Peter:

SITL installation successfully completed. Tested by connecting to MP and simulating a simple mission. All OK. Thanks to you and community for this wonderful setup.

Just sharing my observations…

1/ I was struggling initially on my old laptop (2GB RAM !)
2/ change the laptop to high end gaming laptop (32 GB RAM etc.). took around 20 minutes to finish ‘vagrant up’.

Attached are the logs for reference. SITL_sucessfull_installation_20170814.txt (426.0 KB)

Hello Peter: I was unable to do “cd /vagrant” after “vagrant ssh”. I
removed/deleted “aurdupilot_default_xxx” running instance from VM VirtualBox
Manager and then retry “vagrant up”… NOW, this is running since last 24
hrs (slowly) and currently at below output …

Did this ever come up for you?

Hello Peter: Yes , I have setup SITL successfully. I already replied above.