Simple MAVLink camera control and MP

Hi Guys,

I am busy adding MAVLink support to a camera module. I have a microcontroller which interfaces on one side with the camera (via IO Pins) and on the other with MAVLink (via UART).

I am trying to follow the Camera Protocol (Camera Protocol · MAVLink Developer Guide) but not sure if it’s fully implemented in Mission Planner, anybody knows more about it? Anyway so far it’s going well and I just have some general questions if anybody have some advice.

In the heartbeat message sent from the camera interface I have selected one of the dedicated camera component ID’s and set the type to MAV_AUTOPILOT_INVALID, as indicated in the documentation. But what to do with the rest of the flags like MAV_MODE_FLAG and MAV_STATE as these describe more an autopilot than a camera module?

In Mission Planner I found several ways to trigger the camera which is for still images (I presume) and causes it to sends the MAV_CMD_DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL message. How does one trigger (start/stop) video capture from Mission Planner and does it use the same message but just with a different “Shoot Command” value?

Thanks for your time!