Shutter Cable for GoPro 4 Black Edition?

I am flying a Bormatec Ninox. Last flights with a GoPro Hero HD 4 Black Edition. And it is listed in Mission Planner as a compatible camera when making missions. But is there a cable for shutter for this GoPro? I only find audio/video-cables, which I already have a bunch of different ones.

Anyone? I have seen someone solder cables to the button. That seems a litte bit unnecessary if it can be solved by a cable for the shutter function. It is mentioned in MP so it should work more simple than that.

I’m not certain if the MP listing of this functionality is due only to the 3DR Solo having native control of the GoPro through the Solo, it’s gimbal, and the Hero Bus connection.

RMRC has the, 30 pin? , connector for Gopros but you would need to hack it for that kind of control I think . I have no idea what pins it would be on but it can probably be found somewhere.

1 Like

You could rig up a micro servo for the shutter button like I did for my Canon s110. Pixhawk tells it when to move and how much. Good for photo stiching or point clouds.

1 Like

I spent quite a bit of time with that connector for the GoPro bus and some of the information on the net about the pinouts but was never able to get the trigger function to happen.

It was easy to get the video out and the 5v supply in, but there is some trick to the pin configuration to get the trigger happening.
In the end I just did as @David_Boulanger suggested and rigged up a micro servo on the trigger button.

There is lots of information on the net about the GoPro bus from people who have hacked it, so if you tackle this and do get the trigger happening, would be great if you shared it.

1 Like

I found a pinout for the GoPro Hero (dont know version…).

This one is for Hero 2:

Trigger on pin 17. Maybe grounding that one? Dont know… I dont have the connector to test.

The connectors looks the same on my GoPro Hero HD 1 and GoPro Hero HD 4 Black Edition.