Servers by jDrones

Showcase: PVC Catamaran


The past few months were dedicated to planning a catamaran build out of PVC pipes which will be used for mapping lakes with a simple deeper pro plus Sonar.

Finally all parts arrived. And after testing some basic stuff it’s finally time to actually build something.

I’d like to share my progress to maybe get some last minute suggestions.

Yesterday I mounted everything on a “training board” to check if my concept works. Next step will be cutting some holes in the case and transfer everything to the actual boat.

Still on the to do list: integrating a BEC which powers a wifi router to repeat the sonar signal, calibrate the esc and tinker with the parameters.

Anyway, this is what i’ve got so far:


Interesting, thanks for sharing.
A couple of questions:

  1. what are the TP link antennas connected to ? I guess it has to do with sending sonar data to shore, right ?

  2. I see 2 batteries: are they powering the motors individually ? Or are they connected in parallel and both powering both engines ? The latter would allow better use of the full capacity, otherwise which ever discharges first will prevent you to steer…


You’ve got some Hawkeyes mate. Those are indeed tp-link antennas.

They will be connected to a a tp-link WA901ND which will then repeat the sonar data to the shore. On shore will be a small base station with another tp-link. This is due to the deeper sonar only working via wifi and the original app.
The tp links are flashed with OpenWRT firmware and have a range of over 600 meter.

The batteries (2 × 3s 10.000mAh) are in parallel. To prevent exactly what you said. I don’t want one thruster to shut down just because 1 battery is empty.



Are you implementing the possibility ti reverse the motor ? Which ESCs did you choose ?

The thrusters are totally able to go in to reverse.
I’m using the ZTW Shark 50A ESC.
They do have an option for water cooling. But I’m not planning on using that.

It’s a nice option to have however.

Here is my newest progress by the way.
I had the idea to fully utilize all space that’s given. So I raised the wooden board by about 6cm and put all the ugly power stuff underneath.
So the 2 ESCs, parallel adapter, pixhawk power module and a step down converter for the wifi router are hidden.

I also cut two battery bays, so they won’t jiggle and I don’t need to use any kind of tape.

Top floor is now nice and clean. There will be more leads for antennas, telemetry and gps and what not. But I’m trying to keep it clean.

Yesterday i mounted all the antennas, made an rail for the sma cables and mounted the IP67 connectors which will connect the thrusters.
So I’ll be able to unmount the box without the thrusters. Or unplug the thrusters if needed.

It’s finished and ready to see some water. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it was already too late yesterday to test it on the water.
I’m really excited to see how it behaves on the water!

The thrusters will be on the bottom side in the water and I’ll make some prop guards for them.

Now comes the calibration and software tinkering :smiley:

1 Like

Servers by jDrones