Should the PID values in Loiter mirror my other PID values?

Is there a reason there are different in my default setup?

In Stabilize and Alt-Hold, my vehicle is extermely responsive. In loiter, it’s like I’m flying a wet sponge.

Is it safe to set all those values to the same, or do the default to different values for a reason?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Anyone there who could give me a little advice?

Stabilize and Alt-Hold are really responsive, but Loiter is just sluggish.

For example, Stabilize Roll and Stabilize Pitch P-values typically run 4.5.

Yet Loiter speed values typically run around 0.2-0.4.

But for the Rate Roll and Rate Pitch P-values, numbers in the 0.1-0.2 range are used.

And yet for the Rate Loiter P-value, a number like 5.0 is used.

Which of these values would you tweak to make the copter more responsive in loiter mode?

I believe the reason for the lower pid values in loiter are because that mode is used more for videoing. Loiter doesn’t need to be that aggressive. But I agree, it is way to slow and I hate the way it climbs both in loiter and altitude hold on the iris platform. When I get a chance I will be changing things around to fit my preference.

[quote=“bcdebusk”]Anyone there who could give me a little advice?

Stabilize and Alt-Hold are really responsive, but Loiter is just sluggish.

For example, Stabilize Roll and Stabilize Pitch P-values typically run 4.5.

Yet Loiter speed values typically run around 0.2-0.4.

But for the Rate Roll and Rate Pitch P-values, numbers in the 0.1-0.2 range are used.

And yet for the Rate Loiter P-value, a number like 5.0 is used.

Which of these values would you tweak to make the copter more responsive in loiter mode?[/quote]

The gain comparisons you are making are not remotely analogous. The units of rate roll and pitch are arbitrary, they depend on the motors’ power output and positions. The loiter rate gain, on the other hand, produces an acceleration demand in m/s/s from a rate error in m/s - how high you can tune it depends only on how rapidly your copter responds to angle demands - it is set to a reasonable value and it probably shouldn’t be touched by users at all. Stabilize P is the same way. It produces an angular rate demand in degrees/s from an angle error in degrees.

The way loiter works, you are basically flying a simulation and the copter is following that simulation. Currently, the way the simulation works wrt drag and acceleration makes loiter quite soft. The tuning parameter that affects this is the WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED parameter. Currently the way loiter works will actually decrease the simulated drag as you increase the LOIT_SPEED, which will turn your copter into a freight train (it won’t stop as fast)

Loiter is the most difficult mode to get right. Currently, it is not right and at least some of the devs are aware of that. It may or may not be fixed in the next release.

So basically I need to not screw with loiter right now and accept the fact that it won’t be nearly as agile as Stabilize and Alt-Hold mode.

I can live with that.

1. It isn’t a huge problem. It’s still plenty of fun to fly in Loiter mode.

2. I should man-up and learn to be a better pilot in Stabilize and Alt-Hold mode if I’m that dead-set on having that much agility.

Got it. Like it. Will press on.

Thank you for the response!

We have a mode coming that will be a hybrid of Loiter and Alt hold, Loiter is designed to be stationary. It is not supposed to be agile.

Sounds great to me.