Should I autotune/ manual tune after updating to latest firmware?

Hi all!

I had a perfectly tuned multicopter on Copter 4.0.3 and decided to update it to the latest Copter 4.1.3. I read on the wiki that the parameters do not change between main versions.

I would like to ask you if it is wise to keep flying with the same PIDs and settings after updating to the latest version?

4.0.x is a main version, and 4.1.x is a different main version, but most parameters did not change, and the ones that did get automatically upgraded.

There have been improvements in the low level control loops, but it should be able to fly fine without any tuning.
The firmware update should only make it fly better, especially on curves of auto missions. :wink:

This is my experience from upgrading multiple copters from 4.0.x to 4.1.x

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply!

My main concern is that in the latest firmware 4.1.3 I used the “Initial Parameter Setup” which changed some parameters ATC_ACCEL_P,R,Y,MAX, ATC_RAT PIT_FLTD,FLTT and such by a small margin, and that made me worried. But as you said those new values might further optimize flight behavior.
I will give it a go in the next few days!

Your Autotuned values will be better than the Initial Parameters calculator. They should not be bad, but you could manually put back you last Autotuned values from a previous log or param file. Or just run Autotune again.
You dont need to adjust or retune because of a version upgrade unless there is a specific reason to do so, such as a bug-fix affecting some parameter you have been struggling with.

1 Like

The flight after updating from 4.0.7 to 4.1.3 went really well. I decided not to autotune in the end because the drone felt locked and smooth the whole time. Thank you both for your answers! Happy flights!

That is good. But dont rely on the visuals now that everything seems right, check the log for desired attitude versus actual attitude. Also check the RCout’s for the motors to ensure they are not oscillating or strange.

1 Like