Setting up quadcopter with Taranis d4r-ii receiver

I bought a pixhawk flight controller, a quadcopter frame/motor/ESC, Taranis x9d transmiter and d4r-ii receiver.

When I connected the flight controller to APM via USB, the system says “RC not calibrated”. Then I went ahead to calibrate the RC. I selected “mode 2”, but the throttle becomes “roll” and other three stick controls jumbled no matter which mode I chose. There was no way for me to make throttle as the “throttle” on the APM planner screen.

Also, no matter which button or dial on the tx I moved, there are no ways for me to effect the calibration on “radio 5” to “radio 8” on the radio calibration screen. So after I made the calibration on the four channels on the main control sticks, I exit the RC calibration, but the system still says “RC not calibrated”.

So what else do I need to do (on either or both the transmitter and the flight controller end) to properly assign channel and get RC calibrated?

One more question: the quadcopter has four motors, how can I assign motor 1-4 to the pixhawk output? which is the first output and is it run clockwise or anticlockwise? These kind of things needs to be clearly documented in the frame selection user interface, or people will get it wrong. It is best to add “motor 1” “motor 2” etc to the icon of the frame to eliminate any confusion.

Because the information is so vast and changing the information was put up on a site: ardupilot.com/

You will also need to program your radio to output the channels in the correct order and will need to do some mixing for channel 5 for Mode selection.

Take a look at this pdf used for the IRIS to program the radio as an example: 3drobotics.com/wp-content/uploa … cedure.pdf

Mike

[quote=“kcleung”]I bought a pixhawk flight controller, a quadcopter frame/motor/ESC, Taranis x9d transmiter and d4r-ii receiver.

When I connected the flight controller to APM via USB, the system says “RC not calibrated”. Then I went ahead to calibrate the RC. I selected “mode 2”, but the throttle becomes “roll” and other three stick controls jumbled no matter which mode I chose. There was no way for me to make throttle as the “throttle” on the APM planner screen.

Also, no matter which button or dial on the tx I moved, there are no ways for me to effect the calibration on “radio 5” to “radio 8” on the radio calibration screen. So after I made the calibration on the four channels on the main control sticks, I exit the RC calibration, but the system still says “RC not calibrated”.
[/quote]

Ah I see… I sorted out the mapping at Taranis

[quote=“kcleung”]So what else do I need to do (on either or both the transmitter and the flight controller end) to properly assign channel and get RC calibrated?

One more question: the quadcopter has four motors, how can I assign motor 1-4 to the pixhawk output? which is the first output and is it run clockwise or anticlockwise? These kind of things needs to be clearly documented in the frame selection user interface, or people will get it wrong. It is best to add “motor 1” “motor 2” etc to the icon of the frame to eliminate any confusion.[/quote]

The motor order is highlighted in these diagrams:

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/connec … r_diagrams

However, I suggest that the diagrams should be included in the frame selection UI interface of the APM planners itself. It is very simple: we just need to put the motor number beside or on each motor on each icon (quadcopter, hexacopter etc) to make it intuitive

Thanks! I figured out how to do the channel assignment in Taranis.

With regards to motor port order on the pixhawk, it is detailed in:

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/connec … r_diagrams

However, the frame selection UI of the APM Planner should include motor numbers on each frame to make it intuitive.