Set Home Position on First Arm Only

So one day I’m flying my plane, miles out, and went to change flight modes and, instead, moved my ARMing switch and disarmed in flight. No biggy, I just lowered the throttle, moved it back to ARM and throttle was working again. One problem though. My distance and direction home was now at the place where I just rearmed…not my actual starting point. I was familiar with the area I was flying so was able to return home, but if I had failsafed my plane would go to the wrong home position. I do have a Rally Point set up within LOS of my starting location, but if the plane is closer to ‘home’ it will go there, not to where I am.

Is there an ability to have Arduplane set the home position at the first arm location vs where ever it was last armed? I think this would be a nice selectable function (Set Home at first arm location: enable/disable.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I set up a logic mix in my Tx so the disarm switch will not engage if my throttle enable switch is enabled AND throttle position is above -99%. Now I would get a repeating warning ‘Arm switch moved to disarm position’ if I accidently move the switch to the disarm position while in flight.

So one day I’m flying my plane, miles out, and went to change flight modes and, instead, moved my ARMing switch and disarmed in flight. No biggy, I just
lowered the throttle, moved it back to ARM and throttle was working again. One problem though. My distance and direction home was now at the place where I

It doesn’t work so well on multicopters. Ask me how I know :wink:

just rearmed…not my actual starting point. I was familiar with the area I was flying so was able to return home, but if I had failsafed my plane would go
to the wrong home position. I do have a Rally Point set up within LOS of my starting location, but if the plane is closer to ‘home’ it will go there, not
to where I am.

Ah. Yes, that’s bad. If you specify the home position using a GCS you
won’t get the drifting-home-position.

Note that you can exclude the home position from your RTL calculations
with RALLY_INCL_HOME

Thanks. Yeah, I usually set a Rally point in front of my starting position when flying for a dedicated spot. I was having issues with RTL not using the Rally point and going into loiter directly overhead of the home position.

I rarely use a GCS and never tried setting the home position by a GCS prior to flying. I might have to try that out one day.

Well it seems Ardupilot already has the capability to save the home position on first arm. It’s Home_Reset_Alt. Default is 0, meaning will reset home each and every arm. -1 turns the feature off so it won’t reset the home position after the first arm. It can also be set so it resets home when the altitude is from 1-127 (meters?). I’m not sure I understand how that would work, but setting this to -1 worked and didn’t reset home when I disarmed and rearmed in flight.

Is there any way to achieve same behaviour in arducopter I dont want copter to change it’s home position everytime it arms