Sea-going Automated Boat Project

Good afternoon, everyone.

I have been messing around with RC models of all descriptions for three decades, but I have never touched automated models - until now…

I am looking to build an automated boat that, at some point, will end up on the sea. The hull and power systems are not a problem, but the automated part is new to me.

Is ArduRover what I should be looking at? Should I be looking at the APM 2.6 or 3DR Pixhawk?

Has anyone had any experience in doing this?

@Altsain,
I presently have two autonomous boats that use the APM2.6, but it would be easy to upgrade to the Pixhawk when the time comes.
The Pixhawk can navigate much better than the APM because it can run an Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) navigation function.
The ArduRover2 firmware is a good starting point for building an autonomous navigation controller for a boat. You can employ either standard steering (rudder) and throttle or use differential steering with just two propellers.
I suggests that you join the ArduBoat User Group: http://diydrones.com/group/arduboat-user-group
I am presently working on two autonomous boat projects:
Pontoon RSV: http://diydrones.com/group/arduboat-user-group/forum/topics/pontoon-remote-survey-vehicle-rsv and
Autonomous Racing Boat: http://diydrones.com/group/arduboat-user-group/forum/topics/traxxas-villain-autonomous-r-c-racing-boat
Regards,
TCIII AVD

[quote=“Altsain”]Good afternoon, everyone.

I have been messing around with RC models of all descriptions for three decades, but I have never touched automated models - until now…

I am looking to build an automated boat that, at some point, will end up on the sea. The hull and power systems are not a problem, but the automated part is new to me.

Is ArduRover what I should be looking at? Should I be looking at the APM 2.6 or 3DR Pixhawk?

Has anyone had any experience in doing this?[/quote]

Hi Altsain,

How is your project and experimenting with Automated models going? I’m really interested in how you’re getting on with this as I may have a project you might want to get involved in.

Mitch

Hi Mitchell,

Good timing on your post as I am just going through some experiments right now!

I have been doing land-based tests (way easier walking over to pick up a car when things go wrong!). Got the telemetry all working and now refining the navigation. Once that it is square, I will be transferring all the Gubbins to a boat for water trials - already got the hull sorted for the lake tests, need to work out whether it is suitable for the upcoming ‘bay’ test.

Then, in theory, it is the open sea…

So, what did you have in mind? You would be welcome to drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com

Hi guys,

Any updates on your boat project?

I’ll be adding one of my PixHawk to a Novurania 20’ RHIB over the next few weeks, and I’m curious if you have made any progress with your project.

I’m already using the PixHawk in quite a few unique applications (ATVs, Side-by-sides, full sized vehicles, large main and tail helis, etc.), and I believe the boat will be the most straightforward yet. I have forward looking sonar, and I think I can tie it in to the ArduRover sonar inputs without too much trouble. My Garmin GPS Chart and sonar can spit out an analog signal for the depth, or I can try converting the NMEA 2000 to true J1939 and maybe use some CAN protocols. I haven’t looked into the CAN on the PixHawk too much yet, but need to for some of the ground vehicle OBDII anyway.

And, shifting will be much more like an RC car than a real vehicle, as throttle and shift are on the same lever (unlike a full sized land vehicle). So no more tricky shifting sequencing code for a boat.

The only thing I am a bit hung up on is automating the trim tabs (especially in rough water), but I have been working on my own firmware revisions and may get it figured out soon.

I’d love to hear what you are working on in more detail!