Running the PixHawk without a radio

Well the last thing I tried to do was setup my rover to start without a radio.

arming_check changed to 8126 (ignore RC failsafe)
fs_action = 0 (disable failsafe)

But the rover will not arm unless I turn on the radio and do the right rudder for a few seconds. Or I can arm it via GCS. It would appear I have to set arming_require to 0, but then I have no system checks before arming.

Is there something I’m missing here? Or should I arm via GCS?

@dksmall,
I never ran the Sparkfun AVC without a functioning radio in my competition Rover.
My partner kept the radio in the pit until the race started and then was available to take the Rover from the Auto Mode to the Manual Mode if something went wrong.
However, I always started my Rover with a push on push off switch, per the rules, that I used to start the Rover’s motor when the Rover was in the Auto Mode.
I will say this, there were competitors with me in the 2014 AVC Peloton Class that stood right next to me on the starting line and used their R/C radios to start their Rovers and the not one word out of the judges.
Besides the fact that there were competitors running Rovers in the Peloton Class that were way more expensive than the rules allowed I quit attending the AVC due to the way that the competitors flaunted the rules right in front of the judges and were not called for it.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

I do have the start switch on the rover, so I’ll probably just keep the radio on for emergencies. I know several people have requested the option for a kill switch, but I wanted to do it right by the rules. Did you ever complain to the judges about the infractions?

@dksmall,
Since they did it right in front of the judges and I was an out-of-towner I figured that I was not going to get anywhere by complaining.
Regards,
TCIII AVD