Rssi

Hello,
I understand that RSSI has yet to be implemented on the Pixhawk. As I am not sure if this is a FW, MP or both dependency, would you mind commenting on where to most appropriate post location and if a FW change, when is the expected RSSI implementation date?
Thank you,
Steven

[quote=“Steven G”]Hello,
I understand that RSSI has yet to be implemented on the Pixhawk. As I am not sure if this is a FW, MP or both dependency, would you mind commenting on where to most appropriate post location and if a FW change, when is the expected RSSI implementation date?
[/quote]
It actually is implemented, just not documented, plus the readings are not accurate yet.
If you set RSSI_PIN to 103 then the RSSI will come from the RSSI input pin (the bottom pin on the 2nd last servo connector). It will work to some extent, but we are currently investigating why it gets quite a bit of noise even for solid voltage inputs, and generally isn’t accurate. Lorenz and I have got a set of test patches that improve things, so I hope to get this into git master soon.
For an idea of other pins you can get at, see this page:
http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/analog-and-digital-pins-for-apm2-px4-and-pixhawk/
Cheers, Tridge

We’ve now fixed the issues with RSSI on Pixhawk. If you wait an hour for it to get built and then load ‘latest’ from firmware.diydrones.com it should work for you.
You need to set RSSI_PIN to 103.
Cheers, Tridge

[quote=“tridge”]We’ve now fixed the issues with RSSI on Pixhawk. If you wait an hour for it to get built and then load ‘latest’ from firmware.diydrones.com it should work for you.
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]

Tridge,
Thank you. I will give it a shot later today. I appreciate it very much. You don’t know how many pin assignments I tried but I never got to 103. :laughing:
Can you tell what the voltage range is for that pin or ADC?
Best,
Steven

[quote=“tridge”]We’ve now fixed the issues with RSSI on Pixhawk. If you wait an hour for it to get built and then load ‘latest’ from firmware.diydrones.com it should work for you.
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]
Hi Tridge,
I’ve tried the RSSI set to 103 and there is definitely activity there. I downloaded the latest FW annotated with RSSI fix but the RSSI still jumps around considerably. The fluctuation is in the range of 4 units. With my APM, it is rock solid in units and will vary only sometimes to the right of the decimal.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Steven

Hi Tridge,
Still not having any luck with a stable RSSI. Perhaps I didn’t load the “latest” file correctly, how can I tell?
Would you mind giving me detailed instructions? I don’t seem to have much luck loading from the micro SD card. There is an update log but it isn’t that clear as to what rev was loaded. Also, the “latest” file is a *.PX4 as opposed to a *.bin. Is that right?
Thanks for your help,
Steven

[color=#00BF00]Update: I loaded 2.78beta1 and RSSI as well as Green Armed light are working fine.[/color]

It looks like RSSI_Range has been implemented in ArduCopter. Any chance we will see that in ArduPlane?

Or am I somehow missing it in Mission Planner (wrong version of MP, etc)? Are the parameters read from the Pixhawk rather than being pre-defined in MP? Or will I need an update to MP as well?

I currently see rxrssi stable in Mission Planner (~53) but it’s not 100 as I have a 0-3v scale.

[quote=“Valince”]It looks like RSSI_Range has been implemented in ArduCopter. Any chance we will see that in ArduPlane?

Or am I somehow missing it in Mission Planner (wrong version of MP, etc)? Are the parameters read from the Pixhawk rather than being pre-defined in MP? Or will I need an update to MP as well?

I currently see rxrssi stable in Mission Planner (~53) but it’s not 100 as I have a 0-3v scale.[/quote]

As near as I can tell, this feature has not been implemented on the “plane”, only in the copter version. It would certainly be a welcomed add for us Fixed Wing dudes.
Steven

I added RSSI_RANGE to APM:Plane today, it will be in 2.78
Cheers, Tridge

It is solid for me using a constant voltage source (I tested with a AAA battery for example).
Note that 4 units is 0.08V, which isn’t actually a lot of noise. That could easily be the leads, grounding etc.
Try a AA or AAA battery on the pins and see how it goes.
Cheers, Tridge

It is solid for me using a constant voltage source (I tested with a AAA battery for example).
Note that 4 units is 0.08V, which isn’t actually a lot of noise. That could easily be the leads, grounding etc.
Try a AA or AAA battery on the pins and see how it goes.
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]
Hi Tridge,
As I stated above, RSSI is now operating as expected with the download of 2.78beta1
Steven

great, thanks Steven.
I’ve now released 2.78 as a stable release
Cheers, Tridge

Tridge,

I was just looking at Parameters.h, looking at the new k_param_rssi_range and I see in your enum that it falls into Battery monitoring parameters which starts at 166. The enum then has 5 items which equates to 170. The next section of the enum assigns k_param_rc_1 to 170.

Doesn’t this cause problems?

[quote=“Valince”]
I was just looking at Parameters.h, looking at the new k_param_rssi_range and I see in your enum that it falls into Battery monitoring parameters which starts at 166. The enum then has 5 items which equates to 170. The next section of the enum assigns k_param_rc_1 to 170.

Doesn’t this cause problems?[/quote]
yes, it does! That was an incredibly silly mistake for me to make, and thank you very much for spotting it! I have now pushed a 2.78b release with this fixed.
I’ll post an announcement to the 2.78 forum shortly.
Cheers, Tridge