Rover QuikTune Lua script error

Since I am using a Holybro Pixhawk 6x mini for my ArduRover project, I have downloaded and installed ArduRover 4.6.0-dev from the “latest” subfolder (Holybro Pixhawk6) in the ArduRover 4.4 firmware folder.

My question is, do I have to be running ArduRover 4.4 or 4.5 betaq instead of ArduRover 4.6.0-dev to be running the Rover QuikTune script?
I have done the following:

1. Set SRC_ENABLE = 1
  2. Rebooted the Pixhawk 6x mini
  3. Downloaded the rover-quicktune.lau script to the SD card’s APM/scripts directory using the Config, MAVFtp screen
  4. Rebooted the Pixhawk 6x mini and after a bit started getting repeating lau script errors.

Comments please.

1 Like

It might be that you have a typo - your post says .lau, but the proper spelling is .lua

If that doesn’t fix it, what error is displayed?

@Yuri_Rage,
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.
Yes, that was a typo in the post and I checked that rover-quicktune.lua is in the SC card APM/script folder.
I will run my ArduRover/Pixhawk 6x mini setup tomorrow and get a screen shot of the error.

Another common mistake is accidentally downloading the entire webpage that contains the script rather than the script itself.

Right clicking the link below and selecting “Save As” should eliminate that as the root cause.

Rover QuikTune Script

@Yuri_Rage,
I originally downloaded the rover-quicktune.lua script from the GitHub repository (ardupilot/libraries/AP_Scripting/applets/rover-quicktune.lua at Rover-4.5 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub) and a comparison check of that download from the repository indicates that it is the same as the lua script in the “Rover QuickTune Script” link.
However, since the lua script errors seem to be related to the lua script formatting, I removed the lua script from my PC and the APM/script directory, downloaded the rover-quicktune.lua script from the Rover QuickTune Script link to my PC using “Save As”, and transferred it to the APM/scripts directory.
I then did the following:

1. Set SCR_ENABLE = 1 and rebooted.
  2. Observation: Changing the source of the rover-quicktune.lua script download did not eliminate the lua script errors that I was seeing initially at boot up.
    I have uploaded the MP message window:

Comments?

That error is indeed the error you’ll see if the script is downloaded somehow as a webpage rather than a plain text .lua file.

If you follow that same link, you should see the contents of the script displayed in the web browser. You could select the text in its entirety and copy/paste it into an empty text file as an alternative.

I don’t know what browser/OS you’re using - some are more finicky than others when it comes to downloading plain text.

@Yuri_Rage,
I am using Chrome on Windows 10.
I tried a number of different ways and different PCs to download and save the rover-quicktime.lua script, but without success
I finally downloaded the rover-quicktune.lua script from the Rover Quick Tune Script link using “Save As” as a text document on my laptop running Windows 10/Chrome, uploaded the lua script file to the APM/scripts directory, selected “Rename” and stripped off the .txt suffix, enabled SCR, and rebooted.
This time no script error messages during boot up and I now have RTUN in the Full Parameter List.
Now to run the QuikTune process and hopefully tune my ArduRover project.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Perfect. Glad you got it sorted. Not sure why it was so painful!

If you get a bunch of steering rate messages during QuikTune, the likely solution is to reduce CIRC_RADIUS. The default size probably isn’t very useful for tuning on most vehicles (doesn’t create a rapid enough steering rate unless you’re really moving fast around the circumference).

I noticed that and at a 20m radius, it is quite a big circle to say the least.
My small autonomous electric lawnmower prototype does not move very fast (0.3m/sec) so I will probably select a radius of around 3-5m.
Comments?

1 Like

I think I used exactly the same size range for my mower that travels approx 1-2 m/s (3-5 mph).

Your speed may not be enough to effectively use QuikTune, but it’s worth a try.

2 Likes

Hi @TCIII,

I wonder how we could reduce confusion when downloading the Rover Quiktune script (wki here).

One thing I notice is the first link (here) actually goes to the .md file so maybe people sometimes download that instead.

Maybe in the “Installing the Script” section, after “Download rover-quiktune.lua to your PC” I should add something like “click on this link, right-mouse-button-click and select “Save As””.

Re the low speed, I’m not sure if that will work or not but it might. I agree you’ll need a small circle. a 2m radius will probably work - that’s 12m circumference so it’ll take 24sec to get around… 360 deg / 24 sec is > 10deg/sec so that should work.

I’m happy to reduce the default size of Circle mode’s radius if people think it’s too big. I probably had John Easton’s mapping boat in mind when I set that default. Maybe we should reduce the default to 10m. That’s probably still big enough for reasonably large vehicles.

@rmackay9,
Thanks for the response on the speed of my autonomous lawnmower when using the QuikTune script.
It has been overcast or windy where I live so I will probably not be able to do any testing until this weekend which is supposed to be warm and reasonably sunny.

1 Like