Rover on APM and suggestions about motors/esc

It is okay to use an APM 2.6 with GPS and stuff?
I have a couple of Pixracer and Pixhawks but they are installed in drones and planes.

I have bought this car:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-C400-4WD-Car-Stainless-Steel-Frame-Powerful-Motor-Big-Wheel-For-DIY-Fans-Toy/32838564295.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.VvZI5A

With brused motors and two of this esc:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hight-Quality-7-2V-16V-320A-High-Voltage-ESC-Brushed-Speed-Controller-RC-Car-Truck-Buggy/32702748678.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.VvZI5A

Brushed esc felt more complicated and there are harder to find info about them.

Have I bought wrong things to build the car or is it compatble with Rover?

Hello,

Apm2.6 is deprecated since many years. Other board will work with current released.

Otherwise, we now support brushed motor. But your esc will be controled like a normal esc with normal RC PWM, so you won’t need any modifications, just plug and play !

Then I will take pixhawk from one of the copters :slight_smile:
When I have the motors and esc up and running I will add camera and perhaps some sensors :slight_smile:
I have also bought a 6 Dof robot arm. Perhaps I will mount it on top of the car. It going to be a fun project.

The robot arm idea is interesting… it’s crossed my mind as well in the past that we should support this… direct servo pass through is the short-term solution I suspect. Perhaps longer term we can do something better.

I wait for my car but the arm is assembled now.
I need to buy a Arduino/Raspberry servo shield to control all the servos before I can go on.
Have also begin to learn Python. I think I will use a Pixhawk to control the car and perhaps an Arduino Uno or a Raspberry to control the arm.

By the way, is it possible to use i2c bus to connect to the servo shield?

I have bought this Shield and it has i2c bus:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-servo-shield-16-Channel-12-bit-PWM-Servo-Driver-I2C-interface-PCA9685-for-arduino/1879570404.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Bqn6iH

Do you think it would be possible to send six or even PWM signals thru i2c bus to the shield?

I was thinking if it is possible to store a couple of positions for the arm (record a few positions) and then activate the positions from the RC transmitter into the Pixhawk and it send all the servo positions to the Shield as control the servos.

My robot arm has seven servos DOF7.

Micael,

It’s got going to be possible to connect the PWM/Servo driver to the pixhawk using an I2C I’m afraid.

If the RPi can control the arm, maybe a channel from the transmitter can be passed through the Pixhawk so then if you connect a pwm outputs from the pixhawk to an input on the RPi it can somehow be made to work.

I used a Pixracer but I think it was to much electronic noice when I put Pixracer into the body of the car.
When I mounted it on the outside and change from Ublox 6 to m8n, everything worked!

I use skid steering but I have a weird problem with that.
When I drive forward everything works great and if I turn to left but then I have to stop to continue straight forward otherwise it continue to turn. Sometimes I must totally stop to make a turn. I have increase dead band to 50 for the steering (ailerons) and I think things getting a bit better. I don’t know if it is problems with the esc or configuration with Ardurover. I also changed ch3 trim to 1500 and now I can go backwards. Can I try something else?

I tried to set channel 7 to record waypoint but I can’t find it in parameter list.

I have just driven inside and shoveled up the carpets but will try it outside when it became a bit warmer and less snowy.

1 Like

It’s probably the ESC or motor driver that’s the problem rather than the pixracer or the Rover software.

I think the best way to check is to pull up a ground station and display or graph the pwm outputs from the pixracer. If using mission planner there’s a “Tuning” check box below the map on the Flight Data screen. Alternatively you can just click on one of the number in the “Quick” tab (also on the Flight Data screen on the bottom left) and select ch1out and ch3out. Then go to Manual mode on the rover and check that what’s being sent out is reasonable… if it’s reasonable but the wheel movements are not, then it’s the motor driver. Most ESCs/MotorDrivers have change-able settings although some require and ESC programmer to change these settings.