Rover 4.5.0 navigation

Hello All:
I have been working wit Rover 4.5.0 and I can say that the S-curve navigation is significantly improved over 4.4.0 beta9. I used the parameters provide by Yuri_rage as a starting point, and finally I could track without major wavy lines between waypoints. Thanks Yuri_Rage !

I have watched the videos by Leonard and I think that the S-curve methodology is useful. It makes for smooth transitions. My only concern is that we need some documentation about how the PSC parameters change behavior. It cannot just be empirical - just raise this and lower that. I was trained by old-school programmers, and there is nothing more abhorrent than magic parameters!
There have been a number of blogs about wavy paths and the need for basic tuning before attempting NAV tuning but some underlying documentation on the theory may help.

No need to reply - just another rant.

1 Like

Tuning notes here. Look on YouTube for Dr Hall’s conference talks on navigation. Lots of info out there.

https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/rover-tuning-navigation.html

Thanks for the feedback on S-Curves. I think we’re going to have to release 4.4 as the stable in the near future.

I’m actually surprised that you found a difference between Rover-4.4 and 4.5, they should perform the same I think. Maybe you meant 4.2?

Thanks again, tuning can be tricky.