Rover-4.5.0-beta2 available for beta testing!

Rover-4.5.0-beta2 has been released and can be installed using Mission Planner or QGC’s beta firmwares links.

The changes vs -beta1 are in the release-notes and copied below

1. New Autopilots supported
  • YJUAV_A6Ultra
  • AnyLeaf H7
  1. System level changes
  • fixed float rounding issue in HAL_Linux millis and micros functions
  • fixed loading of defaults.parm parameters for dynamic parameter subtrees
  • fixed discrimination between GHST and CRSF protocols
  • fixed bug in DroneCAN packet parsing for corrupt packets that could cause a crash
  • fixed handling of network sockets in scripting when used after close
  • fixed bit timing of CANFD buses
  1. Camera and gimbal enhancements
  • wait for non-zero camera version in SIYI driver
  1. Miscellaneous
  • do relay parameter conversion for parachute parameters if ever has been used
  • broaden acceptance criteria for GPS yaw measurement for moving baseline yaw

All feedback is very much appreciated!

1 Like

Should I be able to set Circle mode? I don’t see it on the missionplanner dropdown:

I do have circ_params in my mission planner…

Logfile here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-UdoIfi0TzeiX5Xrpzpny4MpOp2j_J13/view?usp=drive_link

I just did a beta update of MP, and Circle mode is available (at least via SITL).

You’re reminding me that I ought to provide some feedback here!

1 Like

That was it - thanks. Now, do you know how it works (outside of the autotune LUA script) - does it circle around the current location - or circle around a particular waypoint?

1 Like

Circle mode circles around the location it was at when it entered the mode. LOITER_TURNS (within a mission) can do either… so if lat,lon are specified it will circle around that location, if not it will circle around the current location.

Thanks very much for giving 4.5.0 a try! you are actually the first person to provide feedback so it’s very much appreciated!

1 Like

FYI, on 4.5.0-beta2, autotune completed on a 3 meter radius circle at 1.0 m/sec…

3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: Tuning DONE
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: ATC_SPEED_FF tuning done
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_SPEED_I 0.200 → 0.553
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_SPEED_P 0.200 → 0.553
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: adjusted CRUISE_THROTTLE 63.000 → 54.560
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: adjusted CRUISE_SPEED 1.276 → 0.986
3/13/2024 12:44:56 PM : RTun: ATC_SPEED_FF 98% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:51 PM : RTun: ATC_SPEED_FF 49% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:46 PM : RTun: ATC_SPEED_FF 0% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:46 PM : RTun: starting ATC_SPEED tune
3/13/2024 12:44:42 PM : RTun: ATC_STR_RAT_FF tuning done
3/13/2024 12:44:42 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_STR_RAT_I 0.200 → 0.151
3/13/2024 12:44:42 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_STR_RAT_P 0.200 → 0.151
3/13/2024 12:44:42 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_STR_RAT_FF 0.200 → 0.303
3/13/2024 12:44:40 PM : RTun: ATC_STR_RAT_FF 83% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:35 PM : RTun: ATC_STR_RAT_FF 64% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:30 PM : RTun: increase steering (8% < 10%)
3/13/2024 12:44:25 PM : RTun: ATC_STR_RAT_FF 54% complete
3/13/2024 12:44:20 PM : RTun: increase steering (9% < 10%)
3/13/2024 12:44:15 PM : RTun: increase steering (8% < 10%)
3/13/2024 12:44:15 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_STR_RAT_FLTD 0.000 → 2.000
3/13/2024 12:44:15 PM : RTun: adjusted ATC_STR_RAT_FLTT 0.000 → 2.000
3/13/2024 12:44:15 PM : RTun: starting ATC_STR_RAT tune

@Yuri_Rage @rmackay9 what is the latest status on the straight line tracking issue in the S-curve controller? Is there anything I can do to have the rover more aggressively minimize X-track error? With the old L1 controller I knew how to tune to aggressively stay on the straight line between 2 waypoints. I seem to remember that there isn’t a similar construct in S-curves.

This mission the x-track averaged 5-10cm which is higher than I am used to seeing.

Thanks!!

Hi @Christopher_Milner,

The steering and throttle controller tuning looks pretty good to me and it’s moving around the square pretty well with no weaving.

To improve accuracy further the errors need to be really small in both the estimation and control areas.

It looks like there are two RTK GPSs and the 2nd one is 1.05m ahead of the first?

For control, I wonder if you could try turning off pivots at the corners by setting WP_PIVOT_ANGLE = 0 and remove any delays from the waypoint (I think WP3 has one)? Pivot turns are quite different from driving along a straight track because of the additional friction and the exit angle (which can be off due to yaw errors) so temporarily turning them off separates the problem into two.

Re tuning the navigation controller, the PSC_VEL_P, PSC_VEL_I and maybe PSC_VEL_D are the main parameters that can be adjusted. In particular adding a bit of PSC_VEL_I (e.g. 0.2) might help reduce the cross track error a bit.

1 Like

@rmackay9 @Yuri_Rage Could you suggest where to look/try next?? My problem is that I still don’t see my rover make a nice rounded corner. It passes the waypoint then starts turning.

I turned off pivot turns - then followed the tuning instructions. Navigating at a nice slow 0.5 m/sec - with wp_radius of 2 meters -

Key params:
ATC_ACCEL_MAX 2.0 (so, this shouldn’t be limiting it)
ATC_DECEL_MAX 0
ATC_TURN_MAX_G 2
WP_RADIUS 2.0
WP_SPEED 0.5

Parameter file here:

rover.param (15.9 KB)

Reading through this page Tuning Navigation — Rover documentation, is is true that " * The vehicle will cut the corners more if the maximum accelerations are reduced (e.g. the lowest of ATC_ACCEL_MAX, ATC_DECEL_MAX and TURN_MAX_G * 9.81)"?

Happy to send a .bin log if that would help.

Is your moving base antenna at the rear of the vehicle?

Does behavior improve with increased WP_RADIUS?

I can never remember which one the “moving base” is. I have 2 ardusimple boards. The board connected to TELEM1 on my Pixhawx 6C is the one with the antenna at the center of the vehicle, between the wheels. Is that the moving base? The other board is connected to TELEM2 and is connected to the GPS antenna that’s basically between the front (caster) wheels, about 1.1 meters in front of the other antenna. The vehicle’s position on MissionPlanner does not move (at least, doesn’t move very much) during a pivot turn. So, I think I have the antennas/boards/UARTS sorted out.

That pic above was with wp_radius set at 2 meters (4 seconds before arrival at a waypoint)… so, no, behavior didn’t change with increased wp_radius.

The moving base is probably the one on Telem1 (the lower numbered port).

Its position is where your vehicle “thinks” that it is, so it will not begin turning until that antenna is over the intended turn point (waypoint minus WP_RADIUS, plus accounting for any GPS_POS* offsets).

Increase WP_RADIUS to 3m and see if that helps.

I increased WP_RADIUS to 4.0. No change.

Should the orange line (Direct to current WP) change from the current waypoint to the next waypoint when i’m <4.0 meters from the current waypoint? i’m driving in a N/S/E/W square 10 meters on a side. Should wp_dist (mission planner tuning window) decrease all the way down to 0, then jump back to 10 upon crossing a corner waypoint, or, should it start displaying the distance to the next waypoint once i’m within WP_RADIUS of the current waypoint?

Note I have ATC_STR_ACC_MAX at 120 degrees/sec/sec. That shouldn’t be limiting me should it?

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, per se, and I’m wondering if we’ve discovered a possible bug since the significant improvements to Rover pivot turns and waypoint timing were introduced.

As a bit of a hail Mary before I defer to @rmackay9, let’s try increasing TURN_RADIUS to 2m.

Bin file here (before increasing TURN_RADIUS)

(No change in behavior with TURN_RADIUS=2) (which, again, was after that .bin file was produced)

I’ll admit that I have noticed some S-Curve path overshoots on my own mower, but they have been minor, since I almost always pivot my turns, so I only ever get S-Curve behavior on very shallow angles.

@Yuri_Rage I’m curious: When, after completing a pivot turn, your mower is positioned left or right of the new track (which inevitably happens), does it center itself back on the track pretty well within a meter or so? Do you monitor xtrack_error? Do you know whether xtrack_error represents the cross-track error to the line-between-the-waypoints, or does it represent the cross-track error to the s-curve-generated-curve trajectory?

Crosstrack error during normal navigation is the difference between vehicle position and the line drawn between waypoints (desired course). I don’t know how (or if) that differs during S-Curve nav on the curved paths. Mine is usually less than 10cm, though sometimes rough patches or hills can increase it a little.

It always corrects back nicely (and quickly - though I couldn’t tell you the exact distance), and since I mow in spirals, the turns from one pass to the next tend to behave similarly, so I end up with decently overlapping passes that generally avoid skips in the mowing.

1 Like