Rover-3.2.1-rc1 will soon be available for beta testing. It is going through the build server as I write this so within a few hours it should appear in the Mission Planner’s Install Screen’s “beta firmwares” link.
Changes are listed in the Release Notes and are also copied below:
APM:Rover V3.2.0-rc1 25-Aug-2017
Changes from 3.1.2:
- Skid-steering vehicle support added (i.e. tank track or R2D2 style vehicles)
- Brushless motor support
- Improved speed/throttle and steering controllers:
- layered P and PID controllers with optional feedforward, input filtering and saturation handling (reduces unnecessary I-term build-up)
- forward-back acceleration limited (see ATC_ACCEL_MAX parameter)
- pro-active slowing before waypoint in order to keep overshoot at or below WP_OVERSHOOT distance
- proper output scaling for skid-steering vs regular car steering controls
- TURN_RADIUS parameter added to allow better control of turn in Steering mode
- speed along forward-back axis used instead of total ground speed (resolves unusual behaviour for boats being washed downstream)
- Auxiliary switch changes (see CH7_OPTION parameter):
- “Save Waypoint” saves the current location as a waypoint in all modes except AUTO if the vehicle is armed. If disarmed the mission is cleared and home is set to the current location.
- “Learn Cruise” sets the THROTTLE_CRUISE and SPEED_CRUISE parameter values to the vehicle’s current speed and throttle level
- Wheel encoder supported for non-GPS navigation (can also be used with GPS)
- Visual Odometry support for non-GPS navigation (can also be used with GPS)
- Guided mode improvements:
- for SET_ATTITUDE_TARGET accepts quaternions for target heading, valid thrust changed to -1 ~ +1 range (was previously 0 ~ 1)
- COMMAND_LONG.SET_YAW_SPEED support fixes (thrust field accepted as target speed in m/s)
- SET_POSITION_TARGET_GLOBAL_INT, _LOCAL_NED fixes and added support for yaw and yaw-rate fields
- Bug Fixes:
- resolve occasional start of motors after power-on
- steering mode turn direction fix while reversing
- reversing in auto mode fixes (see DO_REVERSE mission command)
We still have a fair bit of work ahead of us to update the wiki to explain all the changes but here are a few tips:
- to setup a skid-steering vehicle set the appropriate SERVOx_FUNCTION to 73 (left motor) and 74 (right motor). So for example if the left motor was attached to Pixhawk’s MAIN AUX 1 pin, set SERVO1_FUNCTION to 73.
- the speed/throttle and steering tuning parameters all start with ATC_
- motor related parameter start with MOT_ (i.e. throttle min and max have been moved here)
- wheel encoder setup is on the wiki.
- ZED camera for visual odometry is also on the wiki