Roll results in pitch, pitch and yaw function normally

Hi, i was searching the web and this forum and I couldn’t find any reference to the problem i’m experiencing. Thought maybe anyone had something similar and would be able to point me to a solution or discussion…

I have Arducopter V3.1.2

did calibration (accelerometer, magnetometer, radio)

checked the configuration (i have X quad)

when in mission planner (1.2.99) radio response is as it should be. bars for throttle, ptich, yaw and roll move as they should. (i reversed the pitch though)

propellers and motors spin in directions as they should.

the problem is that when motors are spinning the roll stick moves the copter as if it was pitch… roll does not work at all. pitch and throttle work as it should.

i want to eliminate hardware problems, would anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

Are you 100% sure you have all the motors in the right places?

Quad X:

3CW - 1CCW

2CCW - 4CW

Without motors, if you arm it, and point your stick towards #1, #2 Should speed up.

Or

1- right aileron= left motors speed up
2- left aileron= right motors speed up
3- Forward elevator= rear motors speed up
4- Backward elevator= front motors speed up.

In my experience though, you’d be all screwed up, not just in one Axis. But since you say your radio appears to work in Mission Planner, it has to be between the Flight Controller and the Motors.

Something not plugged in where it should be, or there’s a short or…

-MD

Hi MD, thanks for a reply. I have motors wired as on the X picture here. [attachment=0]x-configuration.png[/attachment] I assume since the pitch works the motors pathways are also connected to the CPU (hopefully).
PWM in tests responds as it should (but i take it the radio bars in Mission Planner prove that anyway)
any other tests i could do? such us is there a test that shows actual PWM send to outputs(motors) and not received at the inputs? thanks!

Do you have any logs? At least your parameters?

Hi JSchall. I’ve attached two recent logs. I never flew off the ground since the roll was not functioning… on a last few attempts the moment the throttle came up to take off the copter would be not very stable. I’m not sure what to look for in the logs. The GPS is not attached but i figure roll control should function regardless.

Set RC2_REV to 1. You should never have to set those on copter.

Set SIMPLE to 0.

Hi Jonathan. Thank you for the suggestions.
I tried both of them in a very beginning and now. Switching off simple mode would eliminate magnetometer compensation, it does make sense but it didn’t seem to affect the problem in any way. Reversing RC2 was the only way to make sure the pitch when pushed forward would tilt the copter forward not opposite. It was either do it in mission planner or do it on a radio. I chose mission planner, but setting it to 1 only changes the pitch tilt mode, roll still didn’t seem to work. I think there’s possible a short on my version of the board somewhere to outputs I will try to track it down with a tester and a mag. glass. Is there a way to see what gets out to the inputs of the motor ESC in the logs? If not I might dig out an oscilloscope and see it hands on. Will report my findings shortly. Thanks!

[quote=“dasdboot”]Hi Jonathan. Thank you for the suggestions.
I tried both of them in a very beginning and now. Switching off simple mode would eliminate magnetometer compensation, it does make sense but it didn’t seem to affect the problem in any way. Reversing RC2 was the only way to make sure the pitch when pushed forward would tilt the copter forward not opposite. It was either do it in mission planner or do it on a radio. I chose mission planner, but setting it to 1 only changes the pitch tilt mode, roll still didn’t seem to work. I think there’s possible a short on my version of the board somewhere to outputs I will try to track it down with a tester and a mag. glass. Is there a way to see what gets out to the inputs of the motor ESC in the logs? If not I might dig out an oscilloscope and see it hands on. Will report my findings shortly. Thanks![/quote]

Don’t reverse RC2 on the APM, reverse it on your Tx.

The motor outputs are recorded in the RCOU log if it is enabled.