Roll Pitch PIDs tuning help

hello,

my hexa: Tarot T810(810mm frame), t-motor 4014,400KV, 1555prop. 6s 10ah, hobbywing 30A esc.
the copter weights 4.5kg without gimbal. I’m using 3.1.1 apm2.6

Recently I want to try to use auto tune on my heavy hex, but seems there are some people reporting crash when using auto tune function so I kindly hold my mind back. In the end, I have to try manual PID tuning… (is my configuration list above OK for auto tune? will it crash? :open_mouth: )

I don’t quite understand how the roll, pitch PID works. Is it the bigger frame, the lower KV of the motors, the heavier copter, will be needing a higher roll, pitch P value? Currently I’m using the default 0.15 roll, pitch P value. My hexa seems not really stable in the wind in loiter mode, it will swing a lot. I did a short fly with stablize mode at the beginning. log file attached.

Can anybody give me some clue if I want to fly more stable in wind(either loiter or stablize mode) do i need to raise the pitch roll P or lower it? seems the default 0.15 is not enough for a 810mm 4.5kg copter?

thanks in advance

log file screen cap

is it showing a too low roll pitch rate P?

Are you running simon K and have you seen any sign on sync issues with your ESC’s. If not then you shouldn’t have a problem using autotune.

I’m not using that, and I flied for several hours totally and no signs of sync issues of ESC. I just wanna know for this kind of heavy copter and low KV motor should I increase the roll pitch P value?

thanks

The pid values depend on the weight distribution, the power of the motors and the reaction speed of the esc. So there is no simple answer to your question.

If you want to do a manual tune look at Dave C’s tuning guide video.

[quote=“Leonardthall”]The pid values depend on the weight distribution, the power of the motors and the reaction speed of the esc. So there is no simple answer to your question.

If you want to do a manual tune look at Dave C’s tuning guide video.[/quote]

Hi Leonardthall,

thanks you for your reply.

If I wanna try auto tune, I use 400KV motor(pancake :frowning: ), I place the copter on the ground(with prop) and do fast variation on throttle like Macro did on Youtube, if motor doesn’t stop or lose sync can I assume it won’t lose sync in the air when doing a auto_tune?

Regards,

Yuan

[quote=“Leonardthall”]The pid values depend on the weight distribution, the power of the motors and the reaction speed of the esc. So there is no simple answer to your question.

If you want to do a manual tune look at Dave C’s tuning guide video.[/quote]

it is a 400kv pancake motor but it’s t-motor which cost 70£ each… I just don’t wanna break it during autotune…